Tuesday, August 30, 2022

stolen moments...

I started to take my laptop inside and curl up in my comfy chair, but the beauty of this morning just kept drawing me back outside.  I'd much rather sit in my beautiful garden and listen to the sounds of nature than be comfortable today.  My back might disagree, but for now, I'm going to enjoy this beauty. 

I love cool mornings.  The kind that invite you to bring a cup of coffee and linger.  I've already harvested today's bounty and taken care of all the plants in the treetop garden, so now I simply get to enjoy.  Hubs had to be at work deep in the city today, so he is already long gone.  I'm listening to a variety of birds chattering, I wish I knew more about the various sounds I hear so that I could easily identify them.  I know the owls (they are finally back in the area) and the hawks are definitely distinguishable and were screeching for quite a while as the sun was rising. I hear the swells of some kind of insect, it echo's throughout the woods as if the ones closest to the house respond to the ones further away.  

The squirrels have finished their early morning shenanigans, racing around the trees and jumping through the canopy.  I might not want them in my garden, but I love sitting out here and watching and listening to them.  It is such a unique sound as they run circles around the trees.  Watching their graceful jumps is mesmerizing. 

Right now, I am hearing the kids getting ready for their school day, their sweet voices are echoing in the silence as they wait for their busses. This is when I find peace.  Of course there are non-natural sounds echoing also, machinery and such, but those sounds seem to take a backseat the softness of nature. 


My little beasties are in the house playing right now, they've already run through the yard at warp speed, up and down the stairs and circles around the deck.  They have a rhythm and routine also.  The inside romp usually precedes a two or three hour nap.

Today will be a bit slower for me.  After processing all of that produce so that it didn't spoil and canning for about 18 hours in two days, my back is definitely revolting.  The pain is making it hard to bend.  I'd injured it way back when I was 20 and working at a fast food joint to pay the bills, most of the time I forget, until I do things like 18 hours of canning, then I quickly remember that it doesn't like to stand in that position for that long.  I will invert a couple of times today and do things where I can sit and rest a bit.  

Hubs suggested I just take a whole day off and be lazy.  And while it sounds so tempting, I'm currently not in that mindset and I know that I would spend the entire time thinking of all of the things I want to do right now.  I have things I should do, but I am not feeling as drawn to those things. Maybe I will squeeze a few into the day... maybe not... 

I'm already frustrated enough, due to my own lack of planning. I finished up all of my "family quilt" blocks yesterday, only to discover that I made a miscalculation in having enough blues to make it balanced.  I don't want it unbalanced, so I ordered more fabric.  Which actually works out fantastic, so maybe it wasn't an error so much as fate, because I really wanted it to be a bigger quilt.  I want it for the queen sized bed in the camper. So after almost a year of waiting, I am waiting again.  This time only for a week or so, luckily I was able to find the fabric, it's out of production and took 3 different online shops to find enough to complete it.  Now I will be able to add extra rows to make it the size that I want. It's just going to be a slight delay. 

My Sis is going to be sending her's back with Hubs when he visits next month for me to quilt up.  Her's turned out so beautiful. I personally love her color choices.  I find it soothing.  I may have to ultimately make me one using a similar theme, who knows. If I do, it is going to be a long while.  I have so many quilts to finish up, that if I didn't buy any fabric for a year and all I did was quilt everyday, I would probably still have some leftover. 

I think I will probably work on the antique quilt downstairs today.  I can rest and stretch while doing that, and it will get me one step closer to completing all of the quilt tops waiting for attention. Soon, I will have so many finished quilts that I won't know what to do with them.  Might have to start selling them off, hmmm... that's a difficult thought.  After all that work, they become special.  

Hubs' meeting is a long one today and then he and his peers are going to gather for a bit of a social hour, so that means it will be a solo kind of day here in my castle.  It also feels like a day stretched out just for the things I personally want to do.  I have a bit of ironing left, a few dishes to wash up, and then the day is stretched out for creating.  I think I needed this day, even if I didn't know it.  

just about ready for harvest

cowpeas

It sounds like most of the wild life surrounding me has awakened and started their day, the sounds are slowly fading away as the sun is starting to break above the tree tops.  I guess that is my cue to get busy also.  

love and peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...