Wednesday, August 31, 2022

enjoying the day...

Ouch, that is how my fingers are feeling today.  One would think that I wouldn't have managed to damage two fingers doing something that I have done for literally decades.  Yet, her we are.  Trimming threads on the family quilt I managed to put a nice slice into my pointer finger with a pair of super sharp scissors, ouch.  Not terrible, still able to be used, but definitely tender.  

Then yesterday while working on the antique quilt, I was so focused on holding together some fairly interesting seams that I didn't even notice the needle of the sewing machine aimed right at my middle finger of the same hand.  Ouch, ouch, ouch!

Each strike of the keys reminds me that I need to pay better attention to the minutia.  Both injuries are minor.  Both injuries will heal very quickly.  Both injuries have definitely got my attention today.  Neither injury will stop me from doing what I want to do, but they will make me far more cautious and force me to pay attention.  

I lost myself in my project yesterday, I had set the goal of finishing the quilting of another quilt.  It wasn't large so I knew I could accomplish it. With Hubs gone and very few distractions, short of double injured fingers I got to work.  I turned on a few different podcasts, had to make a second trip up to the sewing room to load bobbins, brought down a big glass of water and went to work.  

I'm quite pleased with the final outcome.

I honestly did not have many hopes about the outcome, I was hoping for a simple utility quilt, knowing how awkward the piecing was.  Half way through, I came to the realization that quilting can hide a multitude of sins.  It's not a perfect quilt, although it is a true and pure reflection of someones hard labor and after quilting, I am in love with it.  This morning as I put the binding on and completed it, I was sad that it wasn't big enough for my bed.  The feed sacks, muslin, polyester and flannel bits and pieces feel warm and welcoming.  They invite you to snuggle up beneath it and relax. To spend some time day dreaming.


I need to run to the farmers market today or at least I should.  They still have some great prices on their tomatoes and the season is coming to an end.  I am getting low on tomato paste and this is the perfect time to pick up the supplies.  Truthfully, I don't want to.  I just don't feel like peopling today.  I'm showered and dressed, ready to go so to speak.  But mentally, that bucket is drained.  It's completely empty. 


Even sitting by my beautiful fire this morning did not inspire me to want to go out and about.  That phrase it's just too peoply out there keeps running through my head. I had to go to a neighborhood meeting yesterday, they are going to be doing some repairs to our roads and we needed to be sure we knew when they were blocking us off. Being around that group of diverse personalities was super challenging.  They all seemed to be fussing about someone in the group.  Ironically, the neighbor that has been the worst one for destroying neighborhood unity decided it was the perfect time to preach all about how we should be more community and neighborhood driven.  I understood folks feelings as they walked off, refusing to listen.  It was draining. 


I feel I will probably find myself at my longarm again shortly.  Losing myself in the satisfaction that comes from finishing a quilt.  Its feeling like an addiction.  In two weeks time I have finished two of the quilts that have languished in my sewing studios for decades.  I have about 5 or 6 more waiting to be completed and I now seem to have this super strong urge to complete them all. I mean what is the purpose of having a stack of unfinished quilts?

I pressed out another one to load this morning, I guess it might have been my inner self telling me what I was going to do today. I'm already envisioning the designs I want so use.  I plan to do something a bit different that I usually do, so we will see how that works out.  I figure if I manage to complete one every couple of days I might have at least three of them finally finished before the fabric comes in to finish the "family quilt" early next week.  I would really like to have my family quilt finished before Hubs heads to Alabama, so that he can show it to Sis.

still not the final layout

Yep, I think I am going to continue to boycott being in public.  I'm going to get a big glass of water and head down to my longarm and start on the next quilt. But first I think I will just snuggle with the boy dog, the girl dog simply can't stand to be cuddled for very long, although you can pet her all day as long as she is free to come and go as she pleases and finish drinking my cold cup of coffee and do a bit more day dreaming... 

love and prayers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...