Friday, August 5, 2022

counting blessings...

It was such a beautiful morning out in the garden.  I was wandering around, trimming up the branches and damage from the storms we've had.  The humidity is super high, which means more rain is probably lingering out there, it's okay, we need it.  Sipping coffee and tidying up tomato plants actually brings me quite a bit of joy.  It feels refreshing and nourishing to the soul.  

I didn't do anything at all yesterday.  I talked to those I love, some in person, some via texts or messages.  The kiddo's are all busy living their lives, but took the time to reach out and share the love.  It was the perfect day.  Hubs and I are both healing from our colds and didn't feel like doing much, so the day was absolutely perfect.  I didn't do many chores, made up 8 jars of pickles and that was it. I snuggled puppies, napped and just enjoyed being.  It was absolutely amazing. 

So starting the morning in the garden was exactly the perfect way to transition back to real life.  As I was pruning tomatoes, removing the damage and the suckers I was absolutely thrilled to discover that one I almost threw out thinking it was a determinate that had given all it had was bearing buds again.  They were such beautiful tomatoes that I was sad there were only the six I'd already harvested.  I'm thankful for the fact that time kept getting away from me and I kept putting it off.  Now I will make sure it gets a bit of fertilizer and epsom salt, who knows what the future holds for it.  It might sound a bit crazy, but I am already starting to plan not only my fall garden, but also my spring one.  I want to put in some raised beds and include some cattle panel arches, I have big plans for next year. 

I wasn't very strong in springtime when I was planning this years, I hadn't bothered to start planning in the late summer/fall last year because I was afraid that I would never be able to navigate the hillside to have a bigger garden.  Now, a full year post surgery, I know that I am more than capable.  I am strong and able to do anything I want to do.  


I am looking forward to actually doing the things.  I can already see in my minds eye the beautiful arches covered with vines.  I want to find a certain type of green bean, it's a bit rare which is what intrigues me the most, I've already started my quest to find it.  I love heirloom seeds, they are unique and wonderful.  I love the wonder of watching them grow, of saving their seeds for the following year.  So if anyone finds the Missouri Wonders, please let me know, the search is on!  I also want to grow zucchini and maybe even some pumpkins and watermelons.  Not the kind that need the entire yard, but ones that I can train up my arches.  

I am going to have my little house on the prairie one way or another I guess. As I expand to the backyard, I will keep my beautiful treetop garden, I couldn't imagine giving it up.  By expanding, I have more opportunities for a diverse harvest and more space to plant pollinators.  I don't have nearly enough of those.  I never did get my sunflowers planted this year, but was thrilled beyond measure to discover that right beside my single lilac on the hill I have a beautiful summer lilac plant also.  The beautiful flowers are bursting with color and fragrance, inviting the bees and butterflies to visit our little piece of paradise.  

I bought two lilac bushes this spring that are still not planted.  I need to determine where I want to plant them and then get the ground marked so that I can get them in the ground.  I would love them inside the fence line, but I really fear the puppies will chew them to little nubs. They feel all sticks should belong to them, and these little trees are barely bigger than a bundle of sticks at this point. 


I can't believe I am starting my 57th year.  It doesn't feel that long.  I guess it really does fly past in the blink of an eye.  I spent time yesterday setting some intentions for this coming year.  I fully intend to live a bit braver, I think I talked about that the other day.  I often shy away from doing things that I know I would love to do, because of a million fears and worries.  The beautiful thing I am discovering about age is that the more numbers I add the stronger I feel about being my own person.  I find I care less and less about what others might think or feel about who I am and how I am living my life.  

This is a blessing, because for far too long, I allowed it to matter. I am finding that I am becoming much more comfortable and confident in my own skin.  It's amazing.  I am beyond blessed by the twists and turns my life has taken in recent years.  Things that should have felt derailing and ugly, instead have lead to beautiful paths.  

My garden kind of symbolizes it all for me.  For far too long I walked a harsh road, there was little beauty or joy.  It didn't nourish or lead to growth only stagnation.  Slowly, I have wandered through a garden gate, surrounded by beauty, each day it gets more beautiful, more life fulfilling and sustaining.  I wasn't giving my own life the type of fertilizer and attention that it needed to flourish.  And once that was realized and addressed it suddenly shifted.  Things started blossoming and producing. 

This is going to be a wonderful year, I am sure of it. It might have hiccups or bumps, but just like my garden with the right care and attention it will continue to blossom and produce.  Like that tomato plant that is suddenly bursting with life again.  Changing a few small things will yield big results.  

I'm not sure what those tweaks are, I learn them almost daily.  But I am sure that they will present themselves and lead to even greater growth.  Here's to another amazing year!

I have a lunch date with my friend, so I need to get ready to leave.... 

love and prayers... 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...