Friday, July 30, 2021

that feeling...

Woosh... is that a word?  Or simply a feeling? A feeling of time moving faster than imaginable, of paddling against the current, of having more to do than you have the time to do it in?  Yep, that is exactly how I am feeling this morning. 

I woke up at 3 am, I probably should have just gotten started on the day, but I was tired and allowed myself to drift back asleep.  Next thing I knew sweet Hubs was bringing me my morning coffee to start the day.  I am going to pat myself on the back and celebrate the fact that I managed to get a quick shower before hitting the ground running.  

As I woke up and started processing the day, I realized today is truly the last working day of July.  I had to wrap up the remaining paperwork on my car, I have to get to the doctor to get cleared for surgery (would have been nice to know that before yesterday), and all those things to do to get ready... well tick tock! 

Hubs and I have decided to disappear for the weekend.  We are going to take our camper on it's maiden trip.  At the last minute we were able to get a site in the same town that his oldest daughter is vacationing to celebrate her birthday.  And it appears my oldest might even be able to join us.  So of course I have to get ready for that also. 


Yep WOOSH describes my feelings right now.  Waves washing over me as I try to get my list together, check it twice and make sure I don't forget anything. 

It's only 8:38 am, most folks have just finished their morning coffee and showers, those would be normal folks.  This insane woman has started laundry, finished all the final paperwork/transactions with her total loss car, gotten a serious runaround with the department of revenue (as much of our money as they want you would think they could be at least a bit helpful and friendly), and loaded up a cooler and two huge bags of food to donate to the veterans food pantry. 

I would say I have definitely "earned" the right to sit for a moment drink my coffee and write. 

Thankfully it feels like our "heatwave" has busted up and the rains last night made sure the gardens were well watered.  Check one thing off the list.  I'm far more thankful for the normal temperatures, even with the wonderful mid-west humidity. Have I mentioned how much I hate heat? If I could live somewhere that the temperature stayed between 50 - 75 year round, heaven!  I'd start packing today.  My jeans and sweatshirt soul would be overjoyed!

I have sink full of soaping dishes that need washed, I will do that shortly.  Yesterday I found myself getting carried away with soap making.  Initially I'd only planned on making Hubs' his avocado soap, he loves that one and has been out for awhile.  I knew that I wouldn't be up for making any for a few weeks at least and when you add the 6 weeks of cure time, well... he was looking at almost November before he could use it.  Besides I had an extra ripe avocado and sure didn't want to waste it. 

I mean... who can stop at one?

Avocado Tobacco & Bay

Not cupcakes... molds were behind the 
truck... so... improvise!

Well, lets just say one thing led to another, I mean all the supplies were out, the kitchen was filled with the smell of soaps, why not keep going right?  It was literally the last day I would have at home to soap before my surgery.  I have to have them all unmolded and cut by Monday, and they usually need 3 days at least to cure in the mold first.  Before I knew it, I'd completed the avocado soap - tobacco & bay scented, some super creamy Cocoa & Cashmere bars - they are rich with cocoa butter and then I decided to make a batch of Coconut Milk bars - they are brightly colored and smell divine with mango and kumquat as the scent.  I questioned adding the snowflake mica on top, but it's just so pretty! 

Creamy Cocoa & Cashmere

Coconut Milk

I would have made a second batch of the avocado, but I ran out of one of palm kernel flakes and can't purchase that locally, so one batch will have to do.  I know that sounds like a ridiculous selection without rhyme nor reason, but truth be told, I was trying to use up some of my oils and essentials before they went bad. Honestly, if we hadn't had other things to do, I am fairly positive that I would have made a few more batches.  This morning leaves no time.  So that is the end of soaping until September.  The standing for hours definitely reminded me why I am going to have this knee fixed.  Hopefully when I tackle it again, I will not have to pay the price of not being able to walk well the rest of the day. 

As much as I am enjoying sitting still and relaxing I am also very aware that it is not getting my list completed.  Even with as productive as today has been thus far.  I'm starting to feel a bit of anxiety creeping in.  I am well aware that I only have 4 days to finish getting organized for the unknown.  I'm not anxious about the surgery - heck I will be asleep - but I am anxious about the unknown.  I don't do well when I am not in control of my life and environment. Dang it, this is probably a part of the growth I need to work on.  I hate when things suddenly become clear. 

Well... time to get back at it!  The WOOSH is feeling stronger... 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...