Sunday, July 4, 2021

celebrating together...

And the rockets red glare... Happy Independence Day everyone!  Maybe it's being a "brat" that makes this day so much more powerful for me or maybe it is because I am very proud to be an American.  At any rate, my patriotic blood runs strong.  And I have such great memories associated with this awesome day.  

I am well aware that our country is struggling right now, in a big way.  I pray daily for right to prevail, for everyone to have the freedoms that have long been fought for.  I come from a family line that has proudly served our country for generations.  They have stepped up to defend freedoms as far back as I can trace. 

Last night we sat outside at our oldest grand daughter's house watching her husband and two brother-in-laws set off fireworks.  It lasted for over an hour, not counting all the let's make noise ones that went off earlier in the evening. And you definitely can't count the "is it dark enough, because I can't wait" ones. Sweet Hubs' definitely had to get in on the bangs as well. 








this is where you insert all the ohhs and awes... 

It was a double celebration as grandson in law's birthday is July 4th.  It was such a great time.  Although we missed the family that wasn't there, Hubs' oldest was visiting her husbands family in Iowa.  And of course the boy and the dragon were far from home.  It was wonderful to hang with the girls.  It was a time full of laughter, love, hugs and genuine happiness. 







As we were leaving the oldest grands' place last night Hubs made the awesome discovery of a HUGE flag hanging a street over.  It was fantastic.  Their little community is definitely patriotic.  It warmed my heart watching families walking in the dark, enjoying fireworks from every angle, seeing so many flags and displays.  It was absolutely incredible. 


Pretty sure we are hanging at home today.  I feel tired, but also a strong need to not go anywhere.  We have quilts and machines to work on and a house to tidy from doing all of that.  

Besides that my anxiety is starting to grow. As I opened my eyes this morning, I realized that in a month exactly I will turn 56.  In a month exactly I will start the day with a new knee.  While I am sure before long I will admit that it is a great idea.  Right now, it feels bigger than I can deal with.  I've had minor surgeries, just like most people.  I have never had major surgery.  And despite the fact that I have great confidence in my doc, I'm afraid, I'm apprehensive, I'm overwhelmed by the thought. 

So I am choosing to stay home based. In my little bubble of calmness, where I have control of what goes on. 

If I chose to see more fireworks tonight, I definitely know where to look for them.  Heck, I think I just need to head toward St. Charles, drop the top on the convertible and see them from every direction.  But for now the extent of my day is planned at home.  

Hubs has all of the featherweight cases shut into one of the bathrooms with the ionizer.  They had strong smells.  Some were moldy, some smelled like a hay barn, some simply had the smell that comes with old items stored improperly for far too long.  Once they stop smelling, probably by tonight, they will either go back into use or they will wait their turn to be rehabbed.  

I am going to completely rehab mine, as it is definitely beyond salvation with the fabric - but is structurally great. The fabric was ordered today. Although I fear that project is going to be an after recovery project.  I can only squeeze so much into the next few weeks.  Especially considering we will be traveling for almost 10 days right in the middle. 


I hope each of you has a fantastic holiday, that you celebrate all the brave American's that have given their all to give you the right to have whatever beliefs you have and the voice to say them.  I hope you enjoy the times of fun, laughter, apple pie, and barbecue that are ubiquitous with this time of year and savor the memories of times past.  

I intend to, even if just quietly with Hubs.


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...