Sunday, June 13, 2021

the other choice...

This morning's breeze is a welcome change from yesterday.  Yesterday was just flat out miserable.  The air was still, the heat was insane and the humidity... there are not words.  It sure did the mid-western reputation proud.  

When Hubs suggested going out to work on the truck running boards this morning at 6 am before it got warm, I was ready and willing to get up early.  I hate the heat. Honestly, in the summer I could completely move way up north, surely there is a location that might even still be wearing sweaters and mittens - right?

Despite the miserable temperatures yesterday, Hubs and I enjoyed the tiny little town of Caledonia for literally hours!  Just a small main street of small shops and a gym full of quilts, yet we somehow managed to spend an entire day. Honestly, I might have fallen head over heels in love with that little town, and was quite dismayed to discover this morning that they had a winery and I didn't know.  Guess we will have to go and visit again.  Actually, many times I am sure. 

I had to sort of laugh when we hit the clearing in those rolling hills that held the little town.  We'd been on winding and curving roads that literally had me almost car sick.  They were beautiful, but they were intense.  Hubs kept telling me they would be great motorcycle roads.  He's probably right, they would probably even be incredible bug roads, but they were making me sick in our big pick up.  They reminded me so much of the small tree covered roads in Germany.  As we cleared the final curve and left the trees there in this small plain was an entire tiny town. Over two hundred years ago someone decided it looked like a great spot to settle down.  And they did, during it's entire history it has had less than 250 residents, and it is still a gem tucked in the middle of nowhere.


The quilt show kept us engrossed for hours, the talent of the wonderful ladies in the area (several guilds were represented because one of them could not hold their own show this year) was breathtaking.  And there was literally every style imaginable represented.  While I drooled over the antique beauties and the applique, Hubs was drawn to the brilliant colored stars of every imaginable style.  











We were honored to chat with the artist of one of my favorites and hear the story behind her quilt.  Seems she'd almost never completed it because it annoyed her on her design wall for years.  To listen to the collaboration between herself, her husband and son to finish the quilt she almost didn't make was inspiring.  The tall skinny bird with the Adam's apple was designed by her son.  

My favorite - do you see the Adam's apple?

Hubs got to play with a long arm and I think he is more determined than ever for us to finally decide on the replacement for my current machine. Shhh... don't tell anyone, but he did a great job using it. 


We both struggled with selecting our favorite quilts, to the point that we almost didn't.  I mean, how on earth can you say that one is more impressive than another when the selection is so overwhelmingly beautiful!  We both bought raffle tickets for a variety of things, barn quilts and a breathtakingly beautiful quilt.  As our phone's aren't ringing, I'm guessing that we did not win.  I mean, I wouldn't have been sad at all to have our ticket drawn for any of them, they were fantastic.  The purchase was more about the fundraisers they supported. 



I am in awe of the way small communities take care of each other.  The quilt show raised money for so many things the town and residents need.  It supports the historical society and the first responders.  The list of needs that they were raising money for was so impressive.  There was genuine love and compassion for their neighbors in all they were doing.  


Hub's favorite - I think...

We shopped all of the little shops at the show in some way.  It might have been $5, it might have been $50, it felt deeply important to support these small mom and pop shops.  Folks trying their best to make a living and support their families. 


The apron he felt I needed. 
Who can cook in that? Not me!

Hubs probably "flirted" with every woman over 70 in the place.  He is forever complimenting the gentlemen on their beautiful daughters that they have brought, knowing full well that they are their wives.  It makes me smile to hear the shocked happy laughter from the ladies.  Most of them blushing a beautiful shade of pink.  His heart is so pure. When I ask him why he does that, as most guys just look shocked, he says "did you see her smile and hear her laughter?" - he's right. 



Every time I lost him - he'd made another friend.  And was always deeply in conversation about the quilts, the community, the different machines and fabrics.  I was often called back to him by a loud, "B - you gotta come over hear now!", to which everyone in the immediate area (ya know a 1/2 mile or so) laughed and said you better hurry.  Each time he'd made a friend, a discovery, found out about a new place to visit, or simply wanted to show me another treasure.  



That man draws me out of my shell with a crowbar.  I am so thankful for it.  I would have missed so much yesterday if left to my own devises.  I would have been the quiet mouse wandering and silent.  I cherish having a soul mate that lovingly forces me to be open and welcoming. 

After probably two hours or better of enjoying those 162 quilts and marveling at the patience and time each one took we decided to check out the car show and the shops on main street. 




Surprisingly, those few small blocks filled several more hot and sweaty hours.  We poured through antique and junk stores.  Walked backwards in time in the mercantile and enjoying the old cars (Hubs found one that looked exactly like one he had once owned). It was after 3 pm when we'd finally walked (I might have hobbled) back to the truck.  There were a couple of shops left, but the idea of walking any further was a great big no from me.  I was perfectly content to sit in the coolness of the truck and head home. 

Keeping your nose to the grindstone



Lemonade anyone?






look closely - what do you see?

Could have been his...


Hubs is never one to be deterred, so off we went, he was determined to go into those last two antique shops. He had a feeling you know.  I was game the first one, and climbed down knees screaming each step to join him wandering through the beautiful old building.  Looking at each flight of stairs in slight despair.  


He found the cutest little spinning wheel way up abandoned on a shelf.  The young lady working there assured him everything in the store was for sale, if he could reach it.  You know that he did.  Stretching and standing on tip toes he managed to get it down.  It was there for a long time, covered in dust, the drive band so old it was disintegrating.  It is on my project list for today. 

all of 12" tall

As I climbed back in, I knew I was NOT getting out of the truck until we reached home.  I was hot, tired, my knees were aching and I was pretty much shot.  I was trying to not get cranky.  As we pulled up to Patti's Pickin's I firmly insisted I would wait in the truck.  I was simply done. 

1950 Singer 15-91

About 5 minutes later, I looked up to see an impish Hubs, beckoning me to join him. No amount of refusal was working, so I knew I had to go.  He'd found another vintage Singer, in a table.  And the sparkle in his eyes and that big smile made the decision for me.  When he is on a mission there is no turning him down.

Singer 15-91 in table

This one is a 1950 Singer 15-91, it can be electric or treadle driven and is in very nice condition.  It runs fantastic and I can only imagine how much better it will be after cleaning. Of course it came home with us. 

1950 Singer Featherweight 221

While we were out exploring and adventuring my treasured featherweight arrived at the house.  I am overwhelmed with joy and a fun confusion.  I want to dig in and get them all fixed up and ready to use.  I picked up all my supplies last evening and today will be a day of refurbishing and playing with all these beautiful old machines.  My sweet featherweight is in need of a new belt before I feel comfortable sewing much on it.  The one she has is probably her original, there isn't much left to it that isn't falling off. 

The case of the feather weight is a bit rough, although I hope I look that good at 71.  The table for the 15-91 is in very good shape, I think a good waxing might be all she needs. 

My sister in law assured me yesterday that all of my vintage babies need names.  Geez that is going to be tough.  I struggle naming kids and pets, I am really going to struggle with these babies - at least until I get to know them all. 

We made friends with the owners Patti and Bruce, I almost cried when he told me how many vintage machines he's dumped out in the rock pile, as he only wanted the stands not the machines. And sometimes didn't even want those.  He is not into refurbishing them, so he tosses them.  Figures it's $10 or $20 wasted.  He now has Hubs' number, he will call us if he has any that are headed for the rock pile. 

It's incredible how full a day can be.  How many diverse and unique opportunities can all present themselves.  I'm dealing with sore knees and blurry eyes (those antique shops kill me) today, yet I would gladly spend another day just like yesterday. 

I am feeling like the universe agrees with Hubs, that I should teach beginning quilting classes on my beautiful old machines.  My sister in law told me yesterday that she has another old one, for teaching on that she will gladly contribute to the cause. So many incredible opportunities and adventures are opening up. 

It's time to start working on machines, the running boards will have to wait until another time.  Ours are set for two brackets, the new ones have a 3 bracket configuration.  Mechanically inclined, yes.  Mechanic - no. I need a success today. 

p.s. we also had the awesome opportunity to meet and chat with the gentleman that painted all the barn quilts that decorate the town. What an adventure it was....

1 comment:

  1. It was a fabulous day! Thanks for the adventure! My life with you has been my greatest adventure! 381+

    ReplyDelete

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...