Saturday, June 12, 2021

the mundane...

Normal. 

Each of us have our own idea of what normal is.  For me, I feel like I am finally normal.  I feel like I am finally where I have longed to be. 

As I got up this morning and did my random chores to get ready for the day, I felt vibrant.  I know, strange description for a normal mundane start to the day, right? Yet, it is the perfect word for it.  As the early morning sun started peaking around the trees in the back I was outside in the fresh morning air.  It's still cool so I spent some time puttering around the treetop garden.  It never fails I have one area that turns into an absolute jungle.  It looks like this year it is the the old wash bin.  The tomatoes have a life of their own and the beans are peaking through all of the branches. It is wild and untamed.

the jungle - tomatoes, jalapenos, beans

This normal fills my soul. Pulling the little volunteer plants that the birds keep planting, making sure all of them stay watered with just the right amount of water.  It feels nurturing.  

black yellow beans peaking through

Things simply do not feel overwhelming any longer.  I still remember reading a meme a bit ago about the morning bird, night owl and a perpetually exhausted pigeon.  I remember strongly identifying with that poor pigeon.  I was always rushing and running behind.  I wasn't fulfilling my life mission.  I was squeezing that part of my world in around the other stuff. I often struggled feeling overwhelmed and surly.  I was frustrated. No matter how hard I tried, everything simple didn't fit into the box that was my life.

patio tomatoes 

I enjoy the mundane. 

I remember dreading laundry/ironing day.  It felt like it was simply a time thief.  Yesterday as I was taking care of those chores, I found myself lost in daydreaming and listing to podcasts.  I can't even tell you how long I pressed and folded, it was simply a moment. 

crushed red pepper in the making

It's almost time to head out for the day.  Hubs and I had planned to go to Paducah, honestly, I don't think my knees will allow me to walk that much right now and it will make me cranky to not enjoy it to the fullest.  Besides his running boards are coming in and my featherweight is due to arrive.   We definitely need to install the running boards, I am far too short climb in and out of the truck. Paducah can wait a bit, maybe the end of weekend after next. Maybe these darn knees will feel stronger and not slow me down.

Instead we are heading a bit south, to the little town of Caledonia.  I have wanted to go there for quite a bit now.  They have a little Bed and Breakfast that intrigues me, we aren't staying there this time, we are going to do a bit of exploring (the whole town is 102 acres - according to Google) and we are definitely going to spend some time enjoying a quilt show and watching a long arm demonstration or two.  I am sure we will find an antique store or two.  Who knows what treasures are waiting for us to find them. 

creeping rosemary

It will be hot, welcome to the Midwest, and it will be terribly humid, again, it's the Midwest.  But there will be beauty and joy. There will be laughter and wonder.  Hubs and I will enjoy each moment, even if it doesn't go exactly as planned.  We will celebrate the time we are spending together.

This normal completely fills my soul. 

Go make some memories.  I am getting ready to do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...