Friday, June 4, 2021

decisions, decisions...

I had to chuckle when I drew my card this morning.  It was walking away and starting fresh.  Yep, that is me!  I am definitely in that weird phase of ending one part of my life and starting fresh with another phase. And it feels, well... strange, exciting, scary, exhilarating, confusing and clear all at once.  

I have always been blessed with a strong ability to walk away, probably my military upbringing.  When you grow up always changing direction it becomes second nature. Indecisiveness does too. 

That is where I am right now.  Not indecisive about my next steps or what I want to accomplish.  I am pretty darn firm and set on that front.  In fact, the more time I have to devote to it, the more passionate I am becoming. I am pushing myself to be friendly in unknown situations and I am meeting incredible people that I otherwise would not have even spoken to. 

Honestly, without the "face" that I always had to don to be part of the professional world, I do not put myself out there.  I am super happy to move along the fringes of life, observe and do my own thing.  I have very little need to engage in the act of speaking to strangers or even attempting to make friends.  The silence of my own space is a fantastic spot for me!  

Which is ironic, considering once I decide to make friends for the most part they become permanent and irreplaceable parts of my life. 

A few weeks ago, I was convinced that I had finally found the long arm that I really wanted.  The one that met all my needs.  I chose to be patient, that is a lot of money to invest, and I truly want something that will make quilting a joy, not a struggle. I've been researching the various brands, learning the pros/cons from others that have invested already. Yesterday, I decided to go on a mini-road trip.  I've been all over the metro area and slightly beyond checking out different brands.  Touching them, feeling them in my hands, playing with them.  I am not done with my research.  Although I do believe that I have decided against my original choice, I think...  

See what I mean?  I think I might sign up for a certification that one of the shops offers, it's reasonably priced and will give me the ability to "rent" various machines at their shop for a minimal price and actually see which one I am the most comfortable with. It doesn't include the first one I looked at, nor the last one yesterday.  But I have a feeling those two really are basically the same, just more expensive. Besides the more research I do, the more convinced I am that I am going to go with one of those four machines I looked at yesterday out west.  

I'm thankful that I took the time to wait, to research and to process. I am feeling much calmer with the leap into this next step, because I didn't rush. I took a deep breath and waited.  I'm not always patient when I am ready to start something.  I am sometimes a leap before I look kind of person.  

Today will be more of a play date.  I don't think any research is going to happen, unless I find a shop to stop at on my way south.  I am fairly certain that this morning will find me sitting quietly in my corner seat and finishing up as much of my first block as I can, I've got to run out and get a thread color - considering I have literally hundreds of skeins of embroidery thread the fact that I am missing one of the three I need is annoying. I am still waiting on the threads that I couldn't find locally, such a bummer, so I will probably not get it completed before block number two arrives.  Yet the lesson learned will be that I need to look at all the colors I need the day the box arrives so that I can complete them in a timely manner. 

This afternoon will find me down south in Farmington and surrounding areas.  I'm meeting a former co-worker turned amazing friend.  She is going to share with me her little community, the amazing homeless shelter creation that she is a key part of and we are even going to find time to walk through a the community festival.  Somewhere in the midst of that we will stop and have a lunch and catch up!  I am really looking forward to this day.  I am excited to enjoy a dear friend in a new environment and learn all about her current adventures. 

I know I have said it a few dozen times, but I am so very thankful for the time and energy to enjoy this crazy life.  I have missed so very much! This weekend will involve a trip to Branson, it's a quick one, just staying overnight.  We are going to watch a play that Hubs is looking forward to seeing and then we are going to wander the town.  Who knows what we will discover as we explore and enjoy simply being. 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...