Wednesday, June 2, 2021

daily living...

Well, today is sure a mixed bag of tricks!  

I am feeling super accomplished, having finished my almost completely hand pieced and quilted little wall quilt.  I love it!  I am so happy with how it turned out!  I am fairly positive that I am going to add some tiny straps at the top and find a beautiful stick to hang it from.  I have another one like that and love it! I can think on that for a moment, because despite what the thermometer says it is actually only June. 

The flip side, is that as I am getting ready to make my block for May, it occurred to me... well it's already June.  In all fairness it didn't arrive until around the 8th, so I guess that gives me a bit of time to be "on time", but geeze I don't want to start the block of the month behind.  That will definitely not bode well for me.  

Next thing on today's agenda, getting started!  



I'd planned to work in the treetop garden and front beds this morning.  I noticed some weeds in both areas and I really need to get the basil pots prepared and planted. I also need to figure out how to discourage that silly squirrel.  We took down the bird feeder that they could reach, but every time I peek out there I see a bit of gray-brown fur racing around. I don't wish to harm them, but I am tired of the damage they are doing.  Yesterday, as I went to refill my coffee, I could not believe my eyes.  Evidently one of the crafty little buggers had ended up inside the screened area.  He was mellow as can be until he saw me in the window. 

He lost his ever loving mind!  His partner in crime left him to his fate fairly quickly, as the poor fellow got so flustered he couldn't remember where he had entered from.  Watching him fly around was stressing me out, I was wondering how many times he would miss the opening before chewing his way out.  I was in the process of trying to decide the wisdom and safety involved with going out there and unzipping it as the little guy went berserk on the deck when he discovered an alternate exit that didn't involve damage to my gazebo, him or me.  A complete win for all of us involved.  Bonus, I had an old song that makes my heart happy trapped in my head the rest of the day.  

For those of us old enough to remember - "The day the squirrel went berserk" - Ray Stevens.  Ahhh the memories.  Sitting on the floor in my mostly empty townhouse apartment in Charleston, surrounded by the most random fabrics in the world (it was all I could afford at the time) with my oldest, dearest sister by heart  cutting out squares and rectangles to make quilts for Christmas presents before I moved to Germany back in the mid-eighties.  Our sound track always involved Ray Stevens. It was a fantastic diversion on a cold and dreary day. 

I miss my sister by heart.  We chat occasionally on the phone or in messages, but this August will be six years since we last spent time together in person.  We definitely need to plan a time to get together.  I will probably go there, I have less holding me in one spot.  Besides, she came to me last time. I don't know if she quilts anymore, but I do know she makes some fantastic metal work if anyone is ever interested!

Today won't involve working in either garden, my knees do not like the damp cold.  And I am not fond of gardening in the rain.  I am watching my Japanese maple closely, when the helicopters fly I want to see if I can start a couple of trees from seed.  Mom would love one, but they are crazy expensive and she simply isn't about spending the money.  Besides... I simply want to know if I can do it! 

I don't believe today is going to involve any outside time.  It's raining pretty steady. Perfect day to run out and get some fresh veggies and make a pot of veggie stew with some fresh baked bread.  Although I believe I am also making a pot of chili and some vegan tamales for Hubs and his buddy for dinner.  He has brought up the tamales about 20 times in the past month.  I am guessing he is hungry for them. 

I am cherishing this space I am in.  I know I need some structure, I am well aware of that.  But this free flowing space of time is so calming.  I am so blessed to be where I am right now.  I feel like my stress is almost gone, I am not anxious, and I am sleeping soundly. 

I feel like I am healing from a lifetime of self-induced trauma.  I have always tried to fit myself into someone else's box of what success looks like.  From rushing around trying to make sure my family was cared for and had everything they needed.  

Yesterday, I accomplished far more than I realized.  Laundry, ironing, two meals prepared, vacuuming, heck I even remembered to fill out my ejuror form (not that I am excited about it, but I sure did it).  All of that around a day of creating, chatting with friends and terrorizing squirrels.  I feel like I am able to do so much more with my life in a way that brings me pure joy. 

I read a little quote this morning that every so often pops up... You only live once... wrong, you only die once you live every day!  It is definitely a choice.  And one that I wasn't doing a great job at making.  I feel like I have finally learned a great lesson in life. 


My dear friends, tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, so get out there and live your absolute best life, every day!

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...