Wednesday, June 9, 2021

day dreaming...

Sometimes I can get so wrapped up in the here and now that I loose track of time, space and people. That was yesterday.

I got a new treasure on the way home from Branson, a 1956 Singer 99K.  She is in incredible shape.  But boy oh boy was she dirty!  I think I might have cleaned a small animal out of her gears based on the amount of lint I removed.  Next up, I cleaned the machine itself.  Ugghhhh, I'm not sure how long it was sitting on the shelf gathering dust and grime, I was just thankful the rag was blue not white.  I am pretty sure my gross out factor would have been off the chain. 

I still need to oil her, but impatience got the better of me and I had to make a few rows of stitches.  A test drive of sorts. Have to admit I am extremely pleased with my new treasure.  So much so that I cut out a quilt yesterday afternoon.  


I don't need a lot of excuses to do something creative, so I can't really blame it all on my new machine.  I had picked up the pattern and template for a project that Hubs wants to do, at least that was my reasoning.  Honestly, I love the hexagon patterns and I was in love with it.  Although, half way through this quilt, Hubs is going to love it for his project! The youngest grand baby might be stealing this quilt as she fell in love with it lain out on the floor. If she wants it of course she can have it.  

I also realized as I struggled to kneel on the floor, pain is not a great combo with creativity, that it was time to invest in a design wall.  I never bothered thinking they were a) expensive and b) took up too much space. I was wrong on both counts.  I assure you my stupid knees are definitely looking forward to the walls arrival.  


Before I even started playing with my new toy, I decided that I had to finish block number one.  As block number two had arrived on Monday.  And I refused to even open the box, until the first one was finished.  Tempt me not!  Instead of writing yesterday, I wrapped it up.  I am very happy with how it turned out and I admit, it is going to kill me to have to wait a whole year or even a bit more to see it completely done.  I guess it is a dose of my own advice, patience is a virtue.  Like I have patience, geez!

I also found time to play in my tree top garden, good thing I was harvesting as Hubs might not have gotten lunch. Nothing beats the joy of eating food fresh from the garden.  It wasn't a huge harvest, but it was definitely enough to enjoy.  The crispness of fresh radishes and peas on a Buddha bowl is wonderful. 






If it hadn't been for plans with our kiddo's I am fairly positive I would have forgotten to make dinner for the family also.  

As I was planning out that silly little quilt and figuring out ways to bust my stash of fabrics, I probably have the ability to make at least 25 or more quilts just out of what is currently in my sewing room, I had so many random thoughts bouncing through my head.  I would love to teach beginning quilting.  Like I did so long ago at the old Downtown Y.  My sweet sister in law (also a quilter) said with my collection of machines I could start a sewing class.  One thought led to another, and now I am seriously considering it. 

By Tuesday of next week my newest treasure will be here.  Hubs got me a 1950 Featherweight 221.  I am over the moon in anticipation.  I have drooled over it forever, but I am a cheapskate. That is what we were searching for in all those antique stores.  Most folks get one from the year they were born, but sadly they'd stopped making them by the time I was born.  And I thought about getting one from Hubs year.  But I decided to simply find one that was in great shape and go with it. 

I am fairly sure I cannot afford a collection of featherweight machines, but I could afford a couple more 99K's. As nice as it sews, it would be kind of cool to teach a beginning quilting class on those sweet babies.  They are unbelievably simple and such work horses.  I was trying to explain to one of my sisters that is in the market for a new machine that she should consider one, I think she thought I lost my mind.  

I'm not giving up my Pfaff, that machine is an absolute dream to work on.  But so are the others. I just have to remember to not mix up which machine I was working on, as it would completely mess up the quilt. No two machines sew exactly alike. I am wondering which one Hubs will chose for his project?  I am thinking the Pfaff (it's the one I taught him to quilt on).  Who knows he might fall in love with one of my new treasures... 

I am so very excited by all of the possibilities before me.  And I am seriously considering offering to teach again.  I love exposing people to hobbies and crafts.  Home Ec is barely taught anymore, and the skills are falling by the wayside.  Automation has stolen the joy of creating. It isn't about the task. 

You can buy a blanket at any store, even cheaper than you can make it in most cases.  Yet, nothing beats the incredible feeling of resting under a blanket that you have made with your own two hands.  Very few people gift me with handmade treasures, but my favorite quilt to sleep under was made by my great grandma.  It is thread bare now, so I can't enjoy that warm loving feeling.  It rests in my sewing room as inspiration now. Her sewing was what inspired me to start.  I lived to far away and had to learn on my own.   I guess that is why I love helping others start their journey.  

I need a bit less day dreaming, it is going to get me into trouble.  

1 comment:

  1. You daydream all you want sweetheart! I am your daydream believer! 381+ Great BLOG!

    ReplyDelete

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...