Thursday, January 26, 2023

unconditional love...

It's snuggle time with the spoiled boy puppy.  He gets very upset if I don't find the time to sit with him during the day.  I've been super busy around the house lately and he's been a bit short changed.  He doesn't need a full day's worth of time, but loves to have either his morning or afternoon nap spent curled up at my side.  I can always tell when he feels neglected, because he will follow me around and lay at my feet until I get the picture.  The other day, he had his entire head and most of his shoulders shoved into the dryer to stop me from folding laundry.  

I'd say he definitely communicates his needs very clearly. Like I said, I've been very busy lately, so when he started following me and laying where I was trying to mop, I knew it would be far more productive to snuggle and maybe catch up on some seated things than trying to mop around him. At 73 pounds, he can be quite the immovable lump.

The girl puppy is far more independent and doesn't like to snuggle so much. Although she has her own ways of letting me know when she desires additional attention and love.  She will bring her toys and insist on standing in front of me.  She doesn't want picked up, although that is what Dad will do - sorry 63 wiggling pounds is too much for me to lift if I don't have to, but she does want to be held close against you and pet.  She will also let you know when she is done as she trots off to play or monitor the activity in the trees out back from the bay windows.  She is forever vigilant.  


I often laugh and wonder how these two precious babies can be puppies from the exact same litter, yet here they are.  Their personalities, their needs, their likes and dislikes, and their appearance are completely opposite. Like day and night, and at the same time they are so very much in tune with one another.  Both would be lost without the other.  They are definitely yin and yang to one another.  


We are blessed to have them in our lives and I am forever grateful for my friends that led us to them.  They filled a whole in our hearts that we simply didn't realize was there.  Our lives were full and we were doing a lot of crazy things, we weren't aware of the hollow feeling we both had, until it was filled again. 

There are all kinds of people in the world, we just happen to be dog people.  We cherish the joy they bring us.  The laughter, the pure love is something we didn't realize we were missing, now that it is back in our lives I seriously doubt we will ever not have it again. 


We are aware that to some people it seems silly.  We are super fussy who watches them, how they spend time, etc. If I leave them in your care, know that I trust you 100%.  The same way I was with my children.  Not everyone was asked to be part of their up bringing.  

I will also 'fess up that I get a touch fussy when folks assume they are "just dogs".  Frankly, I love my dogs are more than I like most people and I protect them fiercely. I even get anxious at Hubs when I feel he is putting them in a potentially unsafe situation and we have more than a few uncomfortable conversations about it.  


Yes, I am well aware they are dogs.  At no point, even when I call them my babies, do I assume they will ever take the place of my actual human children.  But they are my responsibility, they are my furry children so to speak.  They became that when I accepted them into my family.  They are my responsibility until they cross the rainbow bridge.  


That is why I don't leave them with just anyone. It is why I don't put them in situations where they will be failures.  It is the reason that I don't treat them like they are an accessory.  They are a living creature, it is a privilege to help them live their best lives.  We have done this with every animal we have ever had.  Cats, turtles, lizards, dogs, it simply doesn't matter. Heck I even grudgingly give care and "comfort" to my daughter's snake, and that is super hard for me to do. 


Some folks say they are spoiled.  They said the same thing about my children. I don't believe it is spoiled, I feel it is loved.  They give complete and unconditional love, should they expect the same in return?  Their lifetimes are far shorter than ours, and they are devoted entirely to us, I don't think that is an unrealistic expectation.  So I will sometimes decline invitations, I do rearrange my life around my sweet babies and their happiness and needs.  Sorry, not sorry.  They make sure I am happy and part of the lives 24/7, most people only reach out when they need you.  


So yep... you will often find me taking unnecessary trips so my babies can go for a ride, walking in dried creek beds so they can run unfettered and out of danger, sitting for hours so my sweet boy can feel special and comforted, or sitting on the floor playing with Miss Independent on her terms.  You will find me cooking up special treats for them and making sure they enjoy their meals and I will be opening and closing the door 20 times an hour if need be.  Because I know what unconditional love feels like, and I want them to know the same thing.  Life is short, we all deserve to feel that kind of love. 

Well my sweet hubby will be home shortly, he is wanting lunch, so I will have to disturb the pup momentarily... love and prayers my friends... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...