Wednesday, December 7, 2022

believe in the magic...

I've stopped for the first time since waking... Was that only 5 hours ago?  I don't have any idea how I kept up with the house and life when I worked full time.... Oh wait yeah I do, they took a back seat to my "job". So did things like sleep, cooking healthy meals and taking care of myself and Hubs. 

Hubs has a meeting every Wednesday, it starts at 7:30 am and usually runs at least an hour or two, it's a google hangout, which means he is in his home office fairly early.  I try not to go down to my crafting area or carry things down to the cantry during that time.  I don't want to interrupt.  So I usually take that time to catch up on my weekly chores, laundry, ironing, sweeping, mopping, ya know those things that take a minute.  

I still haven't done the ironing, I subbed in a few moments of present wrapping, we have gifts that need to be mailed and I wanted to get them finished up quickly. I'm trying to not hit that panic stage this year, and actually plan things out.  I also finished up all of the inside decorating, and I'm getting ready to start on a day of creating. 

I love creating, it's like a salve for a my weary soul.  When I get lost in creating I forget the world exists.  I've been super busy this week so far it's involved paint, power tools, glass, lots of vinyl... those projects are finished and now I'm getting ready to head down to the long arm.  I have several quilts to finish, but only one that needs mailed so it is getting done today.  Then I will probably head up to the sewing room to work on a few more things that I want to get finished and wrapped. 


I have to admit that the fact that our economy is crashing hard has definitely been a boost to my heart.  I know that sounds unbelievably insane, but... the truth of the matter is that I have been beating a drum for a very long time that Christmas has become far too commercialized.  The reason for the season has slowly, or far too quickly depending on your perspective been eroded and turned into nothing more than an opportunity for all of us to rush headlong into debt to feed a beast of greed.  

My favorite gifts to give and get are the ones that are homemade. Followed up by things that from a small business or second hand.  To me that fact that someone put the effort into finding just the right thing for me.  It means so much.  The fact that it is something I can truly use, or treasure forever.  Priceless. 

This year, even more so than in the past, the few gifts we are giving are things that are of great use to people.  Things that they will truly be able to use and value.  

If you are on my gift giving list, don't be surprised by clothing, food, heck even gas cards are a possibility. I am creating things that have value.  Even Hubs has joined the band wagon, creating all of his gifts, spending hours at his featherweight and learning new skills. 

Each gift we give will be deeply thought out, it will be something that we know will help or provide comfort in some way to the recipient.  It won't be garish, it will be gifted in love. I am so excited for this holiday season.  I don't feel the stress that years past have brought, the need to buy, buy, buy has been eliminated.  It feels priceless. 

This year is also the 20th Christmas that Hubs and I have spent together.  The anniversary of our first Christmas together.  Ironically, I didn't have much in the way of treasure back then either, yet it was magical. 

This will be a Christmas of just the two of us and our sweet fur babies on Christmas morning.  Although we will probably get to see the eldest and her clan later in the day.  It's bittersweet, I miss the boy and his girl, it will be strange to not see the youngest grands and their mom (I do have to share them now that my ex lives in the US). It will feel different. 

But... I am looking forward to leisurely opening the few gifts we buy for one another, to enjoying the puppies opening their presents and to having a nice quiet breakfast as we celebrate the fact that we have spent twenty Christmases with each other.  It's an amazing milestone and deserves to be cherished and celebrated.  It's not about gifts, it's not about anything except being together. We will have a fire, we will share our coffee and probably reminisce a bit.  

I'm hoping for snow, as all the boy had wanted that year for Christmas was a white Christmas and sure enough, it wasn't snowing when we went to bed that Christmas eve, but we woke up to a bright white snowy Christmas.  Wouldn't that be magical?  

Well, I've wandered through memories, smiled and had a few moments of misty eyes remembering the past, now it's time to get back to working on my projects.  I heard the dryer buzzer go off, meaning the final batch is ready to be folded and carried upstairs.  I can still hear Hubs' voice wafting up the stairs so I guess I will reverse my work plans and head up to the sewing room first, long arming can wait for this afternoon. 

I still believe in the magic and wonder of what Christmas truly is.  The greatest gift ever was given to us by God above.  Doubt it?  John 3:16 will clarify that for you.  

they want the same toy 

Have I mentioned lately how very blessed I am?  I thank God every day for every blessing that has been given to me.  For the bounty, blessings and joys.  In this crazy mixed up world that we are living in, those blessings are huge!

love and prayers... b

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...