Friday, December 16, 2022

cherishing the season...

With the holiday creeping ever closer and my final list in my hands I headed out the door this morning around 6 am.  I am finding that I do my best when I'm not dealing with too many folks at once.  Besides I wanted to make Hubs a long sleeve shirt for his Christmas party today.  

I have been working hard at keeping the list manageable this year (hard to do when you are married to a gifter - and that is his favorite love language).  I know what the official take is on inflation, and I might tick a few folks off... but if you believe that is a true number, I have some ocean front property in Colorado to sell ya.  Please... 

It's been a crazy week, full of parties and creating. I'm afraid after the holidays I am going to have to force myself to slow it down a bit and let this darn thumb heal.  It's mostly usable, but it is definitely painful, in fact that is why I am writing at this moment.  I spent hours crafting and wrapping gifts already today, the act of cutting is unbelievably painful, but I can't exactly ask Hubs to help me wrap his gifts can I?  

So I'm taking a small break before I jump back into creating.  I need to get a batch of jerky started and also another batch of slut sauce, those are for various Christmas gifts. Mostly passive work, but that jerky gun is tough on the hand, especially when it doesn't have much strength. 


I'm pretty much done with shopping, thank goodness, as I am not a fan. Just a couple little things left on the list for a couple of folks and of course we have to shop for the pups.  I am almost finished creating gifts too.  It feels good to know the holiday is just about a week away and I should be finished by Tuesday at the latest. 

After I finish up the gifts left to create and get the packages in the mail (the ones I can mail before the holiday) I am going to focus on a few things for myself.  I want to work on quilting up my family quilt before the end of the year, my Christmas quilt that my sweet Hubs made for me and a few other ones that have waited a long time to meet the longarm. It feels weird to be ahead of the game for a change.  Even if the kids hadn't shifted their times for the holiday, I would still be ahead.  It feels wonderful!

This morning I discovered I have somehow become part of the senior crowd.  Most of the folks rambling around the store this morning were older, we all had our lists clenched in our hands (not typed into a phone) and I know I heard several of us humming Christmas carols. 

I have to say I find it disturbing how many basics are hard to find right now, and it seemed like many of the other's felt the same way.  I wasn't buying unusual items, quite the opposite.  I was focused in on everyday ordinary.  And found myself stunned at the barren shelves and lack of sizes.  I managed to find what I needed with only slight modifications, although I never thought I'd see the day that a basic sweatshirt was a rare commodity. 

I knew I wasn't alone, watching my "peers" searching the aisles and shelves in the same manner I was.  If it wasn't the lack of items that was shocking folks, it was the increase in prices.  I mean I was still in a state of shell shock - or maybe it was sticker trauma from our grocery trip just two days ago.  Since Aldi's has opened I rarely go to the other groceries any longer, so I haven't seen the gradual price increases. To us, the change wasn't gradual, it was radical!

On Wednesday Hubs and I ran out for the last minute things for the team holiday feast.  As it was early in the day we had to go to one of the big stores, they open earlier.  To say that we both were stunned would be an extreme understatement.  An inflation rate of 7. anything is a total load of baloney.  We didn't buy name brands, well except the rolls and only because the generic were a mere four cents less and we knew everyone would like those silly Hawaiian rolls (I don't like them, but they are definitely a fan favorite). We bought no meat, just the random fillers of cheeses, tea, gravy mix - ya know the stuff you often forget.  Almost every item we bought was "on sale" (again, not believing that for a moment).  We didn't buy coffee or big ticket things like that.  Bread, eggs, milk, butter, cheeses... Holy Moses... We were placing bets on the final cost, I barely came closest.  I'd bet $200, Hubs went with $225 minimum.  Checking out at $195, and we only used one of those little carts they have now, was quite the wake up call on that chilly morning. 

From the looks of the carts as we have ventured out, there isn't going to be a lot of extravagant gifts under trees.  The matchy, matchy pajamas are still bursting out of the shelves at the stores unlike years past. It's okay, in fact it's probably amazing.  This holiday isn't about the bounty under the tree, it's about the love and bounty of the heart.  It's almost nice to experience people getting back to giving from the heart. 

I've noticed many family and friends creating, baking, making candies and treats, crafting and putting deep thought into how they will express their love and joy this time of year.  I know some folks that are actually buying groceries for their loved ones.  I get it.


The wind is picking up, the temperature is dropping, we might even get a white Christmas (I sure hope so) my break time is almost over, I need to get the jerky in the dehydrator unless I don't want to go to bed tonight.  

Cherish this precious time.  Spread love and cheer, the world seems to be in a serious deficit in that department.  

love and prayers... 

 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...