Friday, September 10, 2021

grateful...

Do you ever know that doing something will come with a price?  And as you evaluate the price you realize that it is minor compared to the joy and happiness doing that thing... or things... will bring you?  I am that person.  I will tolerate discomfort or pain to have my heart filled with joy and happiness. To experience life at the fullest. 

You all know the past month of restrictions has been difficult for me.  I am simply far too much of a free spirit to simply sit and watch the world go by.  I want to participate, I want to experience, I want to do and I don't do well with being told either physically or verbally no. 

For a week, I pushed the envelope. And for a week now, I have paid the price. 

NO REGRETS!  I want to shout it out loud, even knowing the price, I would and probably will gladly pay it again. 

It's been a week of me sitting still, it's been a week of either ice packs or extreme heat compresses.  I will admit the experience of having an internal stitch removed without numbing was not really the highlight of my life.  It's been a week of exhaustion as I dealt with the minor abscess said stitch kindly caused, but... I wouldn't change a moment. 

Last Friday I was puttering around the house, taking a multitude of breaks to get ready for our camping trip.  I needed to escape.  I needed to be one with nature and experience a different kind of solitude.  Hubs and I had found a spot in Kentucky, not far from our favorite little town of Paducah.  It ended up being the most wonderful little spot and we will spend many more weekends there. In fact, We've already booked a long weekend in April for Quilt Week. 

I knew the journey would be taxing, I was willing to pay that price.  We went to all of our favorite haunts in Paducah on Saturday, spacing it out and going slow.  First stop is always the quilt museum and this time was not an exception.  The power of the 9/11 exhibit was almost overwhelming. You could feel it into your very soul.  Quilters are no different from any other artist and when they are pouring the heart into a project you will feel it deeply. 



After a quick lunch we headed to our campsite as it was finally late enough to check in.  I really had wanted to walk their farmers market, I will push the envelope - but I am not stupid and that was far too much walking. 


Thirty minutes away and down some back country roads we ended up at our weekend home away from home.  The couple that own it are delightful, it was beautiful, tucked on the shores of the Ohio river.  Hubs and I enjoyed it so very much. The water was around 30 feet from where we parked, nothing but wide open spaces and beauty.  Even the rain that had followed us from St. Louis was kind enough to stay away and let us enjoy the soft gentle breezes and sunshine. 


We'd planned all our Paducah adventures for day one so back we went.  I can't go to Paducah without a reading (or in this case two), a new set of cards (angel oracle this time) and of course some crystals.  I had a lot of needs on this trip.  Loved ones needed support and I was in the right place to get it.  I cherish that little spot, I feel peace and calm there.  This time I was even blessed to experience their "guests".  

Hubs went a bit crazy in the yarn shop.  Tuscan Rose is a beautiful little shop full of the most scrumptious hand dyed everything!  Yarn, fabric, clothing, embroidery threads, you name it... if it has a use in the realm of fibers she's dyed it! I was in search of some more of the heavenly Faswah silk yarn, upcycled from Sari's. unfortunately, all the colors were far too pale for me.  I can't do pale greens, yellows or pinks.  I need far bolder colors.  

I also needed some roving.  My favorite dye artist suffered a broken elbow earlier this year and didn't have any in stock, and I had a very specific color combination that I was in search of. For a project that I feel quite drawn to complete. I really wanted some of her hand dyed, but unfortunately she didn't have any in the color combination I was looking for.  She did have some that was dyed by someone else... so in my cart it went!  I'd felt quite successful! I love supporting local shops.  Not a big box fan at all. 

Hubs on the other hand definitely went overboard.  I almost fainted when I found out he'd purchased two of almost every yarn that I said was beautiful.  I literally need to learn to not open my mouth and silently drool over the beauty and texture. I hate to spend money on myself and definitely not the kind of money that buys hand spun and dyed silk yarn.  Oh it is sooooooo beautiful, not even going to lie and I am already day dreaming about what it will become, but I definitely did not need it!

A short stop at his favorite Cigar Bar before we headed to the Silent Brigade Distillery (oh yep brought home a bottle of my Chocolate Coconut Moonshine and Hubs got a yummy bottle of Blackberry Moonshine) if you are ever in Historic Downtown Paducah stop in there, it's fabulous and Josie is delightful. In typical Hubs fashion we met several awesome couples before heading to our favorite place for dinner. 






I knew I'd pushed too hard by dinner.  Funny how just a few blocks, something so normal, can become such an obstacle with something as routine as a knee replacement.  Hadn't I been cruising around like a super star at home?  Note to self, home and the real world... totally different!

We were in Paducah too late to see the sunset the first night, by the time we crossed the super narrow bridge it was already tucked in for the night.  And as exhausted as we were, we didn't even manage a card game before falling asleep. 


As Sunday dawned it was stormy and wet!  We surely weren't catching a sunrise that day.  Both of us figured it was probably good, as my silly leg was a bit annoyed by everything we did on Saturday. Over hot coffee and multiple card games Hubs and I enjoyed a leisurely Sunday morning.  










It didn't take long for mother nature to catch on to the fact that this crazy woman was trying to escape cabin fever and experience life, because the storms that were promised for the entire day drifted off and the sun came out the air was clean, fresh and comfortable.  Not hot, no humidity, just beautiful.  










Hubs and I managed a couple of short walks, and time spent outside just relaxing.  I needed to elevate my leg and ended up sleeping most of Sunday away, probably should have been a key sign that something was not right.  I simply loath napping, and only do so when healing. 


Sweet Hubs took advantage of that time to fish.  He'd fished in the morning and from the excitement in his eyes I knew he was telling me a true story, not a fish story about the bass that he almost had - one he would have fought me about mounting.  But alas the big guy managed to get away and swim off to grow even bigger.  The afternoon fishing expedition had him reeling in a huge gar (those suckers have sharp teeth if you didn't know) on my ultra-light pole.  I am sure that was quite the experience. It also gave him an incredible opportunity to mentor two young boys in fishing.  They were so excited to be fishing and their dad was definitely less than interested. Thanks to Hubs one of the kids caught their first fish ever (again a gar - yuck) but the feeling is the same regardless of the type.  


















The sunset was breathtaking and as we sat by the fire and enjoyed it in the cool evening air, I wanted to freeze time.  The peace... I am forever grateful for those moments! Even living so close to major rivers and seeing barges all the time doesn't take away the magic of sitting by a fire watching them chugging up and down the river as the sun puts on it's final show of the day!









Monday morning found us debating on taking another day.  It was so very hard to leave.  The sunrise was heavenly, the beauty, the peace and quiet, the time without internet or phone service was healing.  It was so hard to decide to return to our "life".  I even managed to join Hubs on the dock and cast a few times, although when you don't feel stable on your feet that is an incredibly frightening experience.  






Our slow meander home took hours longer than a 3 hour trip should take, but Paducah was calling us for a final stop before we left and neither of us was in a hurry to leave the magic of the weekend.  



I spent Tuesday debating on calling the doc about my leg, but assumed it was overuse and besides I was enjoying time with a dear friend, by Wednesday I had to give in. Not only hadn't the swelling subsided, but it had become red and angry. 

Good thing I called, stupid internal stitches, guess they sometimes decide they don't want to do what they are supposed to and wiggle their way into becoming external stitches that need to be physically removed before infection can set in. I fell in love with the hot compresses and their ability to help with healing. 

Because of them I was able to spend time with a very special group of friends last night.  The laughter, love and joy of all being together uncensored was wonderful.  A shared meal and adult beverages in the treetop garden was definitely what my heart needed.  We might even be able to pull it off one more time before one of our group returns to Germany.   

Today... I am sitting peacefully again.  My leg elevated and still a bit swollen from the week that has passed.  It aches a bit from pushing harder on therapy, I want my full bend back. But the price was worth it all.  Hindsight being 20/20, I would probably have let Hubs push me in the chair at the museum and drop me at all the doors instead of being stubborn and prideful.  I would have not let my pride get in the way of sitting with it elevated in groups.  But... I would do it all again. 

I am finding that being grateful for the experiences of life is how I chose to be.  I have never been a pessimist, but now I am far more someone that focuses not so much on the just the sunny side of life, but on the lesson and experience of life.  I am grateful for all of it!

All too often lately it is being driven home that life is short... love freely and often.  And be grateful for it all!



1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...