Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Storms are rolling in...

Within moments I expect to hear a large crackling as the thunderstorm arrives.  As the sun came up this morning it was quickly blocked out by swirling dark black clouds.  There is definitely a physical storm upon us. It's promises to be a doozy.  I love that word. It aptly describes what is about to happen, something outstanding or unique to it's kind. I'm hearing the rumbling a bit away, it's coming.  I've already seen the first lightening bolts slashing through the clouds. 

My grampa used to tell me that thunderstorms were just the angels bowling up in heaven.  It was how explained it in terms that I was able to understand as a young child.  Somehow it made it less scary to think it was just an angel making a strike. I'm not that little child any longer and I've learned over a lifetime to enjoy the storms, to savor the entire event.  To me, they now feel like we are getting a good washing clean.  Kind of incredible that here it is holy week and we are facing more powerful storms.  Personally, I feel like this entire world needs a good washing.  

For a bit I was making it part of my daily to do list to sit and write.  Sadly, it started to feel forced.  Like that darn English paper assignment that you didn't want to do, but you also didn't want the punishment for not completing the task.  I didn't like that.  There have been a lot of things in my life lately that have been pushed further down the list or dropped completely off. After some serious evaluation they simply didn't have the draw that they had in the past, the urgency left.  Now I only write when my heart feels the need. 


Hubs and I started our camping season last weekend.  A quick one sadly, three days is never enough, but a relaxing heart healing one just the same. We both disconnected from things, sat by the fire, roasted marshmallows, laughed, went to a craft/quilt event, played with the pups, pups made a friend (Smalls was great) and hosted a play time, we played cards and took an incredible hike.



A hike that ended up three miles long with about half of it all up the side of a rather steep hill.  We could have stayed on the paved path, but Hubs let me decide which path to follow.  By now you probably realize that I am always going to take the path less followed. As we had been looking at places to take the pups I'd read multiple descriptions and recommendations for Pirates Ridge, so of course we had to take it. 





I guess the first indicator of a fairly steep uphill to the path should have been like the proverbial light bulb moment, hardly. I was fully engaged in the moment and couldn't wait to see the views.  It was difficult in places, but not to the point that we couldn't do it.  There were moments of serious regret as that climb got steeper and the path narrower, my brain kept reminding me that I have absolutely no challenges going uphill, it might have been whispering the part that I struggle still with downhill as my knee doesn't have a full bend to it any longer. I kept checking on Hubs, he is a bit older than me and in my recklessness I didn't want to cause him any harm, he kept saying he was fine... but he also said that as I aimlessly took us on a romp through the alps back in 2012. 

That hike was brutal.  Look at their paws ❤

End result, an incredible hike, we observed over 25 caves that evidently are absolutely full of Indiana Bats that make a spectacular appears at dusk each evening.  Nope we didn't come back to check that out. We saw creeks and an incredible view of Hannibal and the river.  We let our imaginations run wild and enjoyed the signs of early spring. Both of us survived.  I might have given my sweet Hubs a few minor heart attacks as his desire to protect me is almost as strong as my own bull-headedness.  I had to prove to myself that I was capable of navigating those rocky paths and steep inclines back down to the paved path. FYI - I excelled at it, far better than I could have done for at least the last decade prior to my knee surgery.  Talk about an emotional high!



Hmmmm... might need to focus in on the weather a bit, this is the Midwest and the sky is turning an odd pea green and the trees are dancing in multiple directions at once.... And now the rain has arrived, I love springtime. 

This weekend will find us disappearing in another direction, although we are staying in Missouri.  Thankfully this storm is only supposed to last today and then pass.  Because the super high winds we drove through on Saturday had me feeling car sick for the first time in decades.  It was worse than the turbulence you experience flying into Colorado Springs. 

We are going to a homesteading/gardening event at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds farm.  I am stupid excited.  Two of my favorite vloggers/bloggers will be speaking.  I have followed them for years and find their content to be informative and well researched. And the whole event gets topped off with a walk through the tulip gardens and an opportunity to get some wonderful seeds and plants for my garden this year. 

It's located almost in the Ozarks, in those sweet rolling hills.  In the same town as Laura Ingalls Wilder lived out her remaining years and where she and Almanzo are buried. We all know that she is basically my life role model, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I am drawn there. 

Goodness my sweet brave girl is terrified of this storm.  It's highly unusual for her to be afraid of anything.  Normally she is out running in the rain and stressing me out. Right now, she is on high alert pressed against my leg. She just slowly relaxed to the ground, but her head is covered in wrinkles and her ears are folded tight as she rapidly looks around.  Again, definitely not a Belle reaction to anything. 

It's still green outside, but the winds have stopped swirling... could be a good thing or could be a very bad thing the eye of the storm is not a good thing at all.  I am definitely keeping an eye in case I need to grab them both and drag them downstairs.  Belle will go willingly, she loves the treat room (as I am sure that is what she thinks it is - ask Dad), Beau on the other hand loathes the basement and will fight me every inch of the way. I'm not sure you can convince a pup that the storm is just the angels bowling. 

They want their sunshine back ❤

I don't know about you, but I feel like we are in the midst of some very ugly storms right now.  Spiritual, emotional, environmental, natural, economic, judicial... so many storms, so much intentional destruction.  If I am not writing, it is most likely because I am busy praying my way through it all.  You can see a lot of things from many sides, unfortunately, you can also see a lot of pure evil. People are hurting in so many ways.  I personally feel like it's all planned to be like this.  

I've been reading and studying the book of Exodus, I'm getting ready to start reading and studying the book of Revelations.  I don't feel that we are in that time, but I feel like we are getting closer every day. 

I am noticing that people are being pushed to breaking points on so many levels.  A trip to the store is a challenge, so many angry people.  Drivers are getting more aggressive, civil conversations are falling by the wayside.  People are saying things in a hateful and rude manner, feelings are begin hurt and not healing.  The entire world feels offended by something or another. It's exhausting.  

I've found my own solutions, I am staying in love.  Even when angry I ask myself to consider if I am looking at the situation, person, event with eyes of love.  Am I trying, whether I succeed or not, to stand in compassion and understanding?  If not, it's time to take that crap to God in prayer.  He is my banner, shield and coat of armor, he will help me through it. 

I am also finding myself withdrawing from situations that have the potential to explode.  I am finding less and less of a need to be around the general population.  There is comfort in small numbers, intimate groups and being surrounded by your loved ones. 

Anyone else?  Please take time during this week for some serious reflection.  Some time in peaceful prayer or silent meditation if that is more your style.  

Look who's decided
she could be a lap dog

It's time for me to get started with my day.  The storm is mellowing, although it's presence means the outdoor chores will wait for morning.  I might as well work on the things inside my cozy walls, the heat is coming as quickly as the cold did. 

love and prayers...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...