Tuesday, April 11, 2023

finding inspiration...

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was removing all of the heavy sun blocking curtains from the windows to allow more of the natural warmth to shine in?  Raising blinds to allow the brilliant sunshine?  Pretty sure it was. Yet this morning found me hanging them back up to block out the heat and keep the house cooler. It seems like we were under strong freeze warnings just a few days back, and here it is pushing almost 79°.  

I am definitely not complaining, simply wondering how time has flown past so rapidly.  I don't even feel I've slept in between.  I guess it is true what they say about time flying the older you get. 

Hubs and I ran away to the country this weekend, it was not only resurrection weekend, but also his birthday weekend.  Definitely causes for celebration.  Top it off with a tulip festival at one of my favorite Heirloom Seed farms with two of the people that inspire me beyond belief speaking and a chance to be completely disconnected.  Yep, sign me up.   

Hey sis, Dad has the snacks on the other side
I think I can reach them...

Mom, Dad is not sharing

nothing like a campfire

There is so much going on in the world, so very, very much. I needed a moment.  A chance to step into peace and rest.  So did Hubs.  Things are so intense.  I feel in my gut that they are going to be getting even more intense.  I know we needed a chance to completely disconnect. 

The campground was definitely not a favorite, in fact it's officially on the will not return list.  Sad.  Because it has incredible potential.  I would love to own one like it and really put some time, love and attention into it.  As it was... I 100% do not recommend it.  Thankfully it had very few folks staying at it, so it was relatively peaceful, as long as you could block out the incessant noise of the highway.  

He needed a better view of the campground

He's not spoiled... geez...

too much time running in the sun... nap time

It didn't matter, we weren't there to simply sit and stare at the highway.  We are fussy about the kind of campgrounds we select, I loathe feeling like we are camping in a parking lot.  I love green space, walking areas, a little bit of distance between us and the folks around us.  I seriously prefer to not camp in front of a massive burn pile that is almost the circumference of my home, thank goodness we were able to move our spot and not have that up against the back of the camper. 

So we loaded up the pups and went exploring. 

We spent time in a little town called Ava, traipsed through several antique shops.  Found a few things at the second shop, including a beautiful antique appliqued quilt top for a mere $29.  It's pristine and I cannot wait to spend countless hours quilting it. 

We tried to find a nice hiking trail that didn't include a water feature, because frankly Belle is a pure water dog, if it is there she will find it.  Beau is just as bad, although he usually displays a touch of restraint. Sadly the only one we found was far more difficult than either Hubs or I were up to. Shoot, even the pups were struggling with the steepness of the hills, so we didn't feel like we were completely out of shape.  Mildly, not completely. All in all we found spaces for the pups to romp and wear themselves out, we gathered firewood and roasted marshmallows in the evening as the sun was setting and putting on a beautiful display.  We played cards late into the night and early in the morning. 

The tulip festival was wonderful, if a bit overwhelming for me.  I spend so much time either solo or in incredibly small groups that I was frazzled by it all.  I couldn't wait to hear Rory Feek and Jess Sowards speak, they both are strong Christians that live a faithful and devoted life.  They inspire me to no end.  

We took the pups and they did incredible, although you could tell it was all a bit much for them also.  Hubs had been resting on a bench with the pups while I looked at some of the covered tents to see the wares that folks were selling inside.  Those truly are my people.  

The ones that go to homesteading festivals.  Where you can step back in time, where ladies are in their long skirts and men are wearing their jeans or overalls. Seeing folks walking around with their shopping baskets loaded with a variety of plants, seedlings, essential oils and natural healing items.  The beautiful things that you would have found in a pioneer village found at every corner. 

As I returned to tell Hubs that I had found the garlic bulbs and the seed potatoes that I was wanting and we could pick them up as we were leaving, he was excitedly calling me to hurry to him.  I found myself feeling a bit frantic, like I'd left him in the sun for too long and he was not feeling well or something of the sort.  

Hubs and I were blessed to meet Rory

No, it wasn't that at all.  I was intent on taking him over to listen to the live music playing at the top of the hill.  He was equally intent on letting me met Rory Feek.  I can't even remember how the conversation started, but it was wonderful.  He and his daughter's teacher we complimenting me on my puppies and how beautiful and well behaved they are and telling me that they loved my sweatshirt.  I was busy complimenting him on the inspiration that he has liberally shared with the world.  He offered to take a picture without it even occurring to us. I was intent on gathering more information about his Homesteading event that is coming up, as he was asking us if we were going to come and sharing all about it.  We ended up with a few photos and great memories.  We both shared why that particular part of Missouri draws us back.  It's such a blessing when you realize you share so many thoughts and ideals with someone that has blessed your life without ever knowing you.  A bit later I was blessed to meet his little girl, she is beyond precious.  

We went our way, they went theirs.  After enjoying some live music sitting on hay bales in the sunshine I really was worn from the swarm of people.  All so kind and loving, friendly and considerate, but oh so many of them.  My anxiety was high enough that I was ready to go.  I really wanted to hear Rory and Jess speak, but I simply couldn't take all of the swirling wonderful chaos. I told Hubs we needed to go.  

He argued intently with me, knowing that was the sole reason I had wanted to come.  I was content with having shared an incredible conversation with Rory, I was willing to leave. It was well over two hours before they were speaking and I simply couldn't.  I tried, I wanted to, but I simply couldn't. 

I definitely felt peaceful driving back to the camper.  I had designated myself the driver for the weekend, Hubs has been under a lot of strain lately, so I chose to give him the freedom to rest and unwind. 

Hubs was not okay with it at all. Tucking the pups in the air conditioning for the nap, we headed back out to the farm.  A big jar of fresh squeezed lemonade and front row seats later, that he made sure we got and we enjoyed over an hour of story telling and listening to the difference that pure faith had created in both of their lives.  My inspiration factor was through the roof.  

Rory Feek and Jess Sowards


While Hubs was getting us seats inside, I had the opportunity to say hello to Jess inside one of the planting tents.  I'm not a big one for hero worshiping.  I am a firm believer in the fact that we are all equals and no one is above another. But having the chance to tell people that you have been inspired by that they have made a difference in your life, is super powerful. 

We spent our resurrection Sunday among people of strong faith.  Surrounded by blessings and the bounty of this life.  My heart was bubbling with joy. I had wanted to attend a sunrise service, those are the ones that fill my heart with absolute joy for some reason.  But try as I might, I couldn't find one.  Instead I spent time in prayer and thankfulness while Hubs was out romping in the woods. I cherished the solitude as I reflected. 

I am finding so much in my life that is connecting with the path Jesus prepared for us.  I finally feel I am walking the path I was long intended to walk.  I closed my calendar this morning as I was carrying it to the other room. I'd picked it for the colors it had, for the calming sense it brought me daily, I'd forgotten the verse on the cover... "for I know the plans I have for you" Jeremiah 29:11.  I guess the Lord thought I needed the reminder and the conviction to step out further on things.  The ones I've been looking at longingly, but afraid to take the running leap off the cliff. 

The final sunset of the trip... always bittersweet

It's been a busy morning, it will be a busy day.  I hope that you are taking time to pray, to reflect on everything that is going on at this time and to prepare.  I feel we have been lulled into complacency in many ways.  We need to break out of that.  

Rory has spent almost a full year disconnected from the internet.  I am not sure I could do it.  Although listening to him speaking on Sunday has definitely inspired me to step back a bit from many of the things that are clouding my vision and spend a bit more time leaping off cliffs.  I am moving back into my busy time of the year, the garden is waiting for love, there are many tasks and projects that need my attention. I may not have acres and acres surrounding me, but I am still very much a homesteader, and my home needs tending. 

Well... time to build a potato box and learn how to grow spring garlic... 

much love and prayers... 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...