Tuesday, February 7, 2023

processing things...

Well, it appears that God decided we needed another day.  The sun came up briefly this morning, prior to the rain clouds easing in.  It's not really raining, just a light mist that keeps sneaking in. There is a pair of doves that keep returning to the backyard. The temperatures are still pretty mild, in fact it is difficult to believe that it is mid-February. Not to worry, the forecasters are already predicting snow for Friday just in case we forgot what time of the year it is. 

I'm in a slightly better space today emotionally.  I am finding myself being drawn a bit more into my own challenges and projects. Moving away from the international devastation, while praying for the people affected by the swarms of earthquakes that happened yesterday.  I am making myself step away from any form a media for the most part.  I need time to process it all. 

Yesterday, I witnessed so much vileness in regards to what happened so far away.  So much falseness, so many hurtful words flung carelessly about. That I am still stunned today.  The number of fake articles and pictures being posted to drawn in the unsuspecting.  The fear mongering was immense.  Rumors of nuclear plants exploding, or prisons being damaged to the point that the worst of the worst had been released. The swirling of pictures from other locations and times being put forward to somehow amplify an already horrific situation. 

I think the part that bothered more than any of that was the comments people were saying in regards to other people.  Saying that their religious beliefs, their politics, the status in this world somehow made them deserve the devastation and destruction.  It was unbelievable. 

I have often stated that I am not a deeply religious person.  I'm not.  For me religion feels like the very root of all evil.  More horrible things have been said and done in the name of religion than any one of us can even recount. 

I am a deeply faithful person. I've often said spiritual.  Yet too many twist that into a different meaning.  My faith is in God, my faith is in Jesus.  I have left many churches because they were not preaching the Bible, they were too focused on twisting the Bible to fit what they wanted them to fit.  They weren't standing for God and his people, they were guiding in directions that went against everything I believe in. 

Some of those comments yesterday had me feeling the same way about humanity's path as a whole.  I want to be able to do something, but who can you trust? Just watching the whole mess in Ukraine knowing that billions have flowed their direction and the people are still suffering, makes me question it even more. Where is our focus where our fellow man is concerned?  Are we trying to help and lift each other up or are we trapped in a bad story line that we are committed to believing?

All of it is heavy on my heart. I want to wrap folks in warm blankets, provide them with a nourishing meal, hold them while the grieve and pray alongside them to offer hope.  There a miracles happening every minute.  Babies being born in the rubble, children being found alive.  The miracles need to be shouted from roof tops.  There is still hope for many. The father that couldn't get to his child, standing there praying with them while waiting for the rescuers.  I read in several foreign language articles that the child was ultimately rescued. The joy that filled my heart was immeasurable.

Today, I am simply going to continue to pray.  If there is something I can do other than that, God will move me to do so.  For now, I am focusing on my immediate surroundings and things I can actually do.  

I keep asking, are we prepared.  I keep wondering if we truly can be physically prepared for things.  I know I mentioned living on the New Madrid fault line. There is always a possibility of an earthquake.  The same for my youngest, he lives on the San Andrea fault line.  Neither one is optimal. I often think moving to a different area would be safer, the truth is, every single place has its own unique challenges and terrors waiting for us.  

I think a greater question is are we prepared for the things that can happen where I am.  To a degree, I say yes.  Although I am not truly sure there is a proper way to prepare for earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's.  I think you get the idea.  

I am fully expecting to see a lot of things suddenly become a lot more expensive as a result of the events in Turkey and Syria.  Those are the type of things we can be prepared for. I think those earthquakes are going to cause global issues, we are part of a global economy.  I need to evaluate how the events happening a half a world away will impact us here at home and then plan accordingly.

In a few moments, once I finish my very cold coffee, finish this blog post and finish reading the book of Exodus (how I came to read that has shivers still going up my spine) I will continue on with my day.  The laundry, baking bread and tidying up.  I will decide how I want to arrange my sitting room, now that the HUGE plant has a new home. 

In a new home with HIGH ceilings

I am going to take a mental break.  I might even spin some wool or do some sewing today.  I need to regroup. 

love and prayers...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...