Friday, February 3, 2023

listening to my heart...

Is it really only 8:17 am?  I feel like it should be just about lunchtime. Barely had a sip of coffee when Hubs needed a hand, so pups got their first Kong of the day and I set about helping. One thing led to another, I am always that way, and before I knew what had happened I was sweeping floors and cutting soap. 

Alpine Frost

The house smells heavenly. There is Alpine Frost, Sea Salt and Lily and of course Eucalyptus and Cotton mixing in with the oranges from the day before.  No matter where you turn is a soft spring like fragrance.  I guess I was in the mood to bring springtime in a bit early. The three batches that I got finished yesterday are lye based, they won't be ready for at least six weeks. It's not like we are anywhere close to being out of soap, yet those tantalizing scents make us want to use it today.  

Eucalyptus & Cotton

We'll have to make due with the Turmeric and Orange, that was what I call a cheater soap, it's melt and pour. I guess it is not really truly a cheater soap, the quality is just as good, it's just too easy.  I feel like I am not giving it my all when I make a melt and pour soap, like I am taking short cuts and looking for the easy way out. 

Eucalyptus & Cotton

Alpine Frost

Sea Salt & Lily

It's going to be a busy day again.  I want to wrap up a few things before the weekend.  Not that we have big plans, but I guess a throw back to a normal work week.  I also want to make a nice dinner to celebrate the ending of a stressful work week. I am going to try my hand at kofta, wish me luck. Middle Eastern foods are not ones that I have dabbled in at all. We both love them, but as I have limited experience cooking them we usually go out to enjoy them. 

I don't know about you, but Hubs and I are both getting a bit weary of going out and being disappointed.  We don't eat out often, it is getting far too expensive and I am home, why not simply cook.  On the few occasions we do go out we ultimately end up sad, with few exceptions.  I mean Hola is always perfect! I've just decided it's time to up my game and learn to make a few more of our favorites at home. 

I was listening to my usual slate of pod-casts and YouTube channels yesterday while making soap and found little to truly be shocked about.  There was an ongoing theme of being prepared, learning to do more for yourselves and of course having faith in God.  While not shocking, given most of the channels are watch and listen to deal with learning new skills and faith. When the first point and the last point collided in the same one program, well that definitely gave me serious goosebumps considering the events of the day before and the fact that I had written about some of those things literally a few hours before I heard the program. 

Those moments of feeling like a pastor is speaking directly to you are a touch unnerving.  Hubs and I had a pastor that we loved listening to a long bit ago, and Hubs would always say "did you notice he was bouncing today?  The spirit grabbed hold of him for sure".  He's since passed away, but many times we both would have goosebumps and feel like we were being spoken directly to. That was my feeling yesterday. And while it made me feel a tad quivery inside, it also gave me confirmation that I was listening with my heart, as I am supposed to. 

Anyone else experienced that?  Not necessarily a pastor, but hearing something and feeling you were meant to hear it? It seems to be happening to me a lot lately.  Or things start showing up that I am pondering.  

For example, I read the packaging of a medication the vet had prescribed for the pups.  I didn't have a good feeling in my heart about it and was more distraught when I read the warning on the packaging from them saying not to give to dogs under 6 months old.  At the time they were only 4 months and had already had two doses of the medication. My heart was screaming at me to do more research to dig in and find out all that I could.  Yet before I even had a chance, so many articles kept popping up in different places of dogs dying suddenly after taking this particular medication or starting to have seizures.  

My heart told me that the medications weren't good for them, then the universe provided the information.  Oddly enough, since I refused to give them any more (yup there is $300 worth of medication sitting on a shelf high up in the pantry) I haven't seen any more articles or stories about it.  I'd read enough.  I think about that often, it was such a powerful feeling. 

Things like that seem to be occurring with startling regularity. Confirmation of feelings and faith. I do find that I live my life in that basis, feeling and faith.  And when I do that, things move smoothly, without fear, frustration or worry. When I don't... well... wheels fall off of buses so to speak. 


I will probably make a few more batches of soap today, not positive.  Hubs has a long series of tests and exams this afternoon and I am not sure if he needs a driver or not.  That will determine how the day will actually progress. I definitely want to get a few more made, I was enjoying being lost in the moment while making my soaps yesterday.  

I'm also going to make the time to prepare a large batch of homemade food for my pups. They have been really pushing back on eating the dried food, and my gut is telling me that it truly isn't the best food to feed them. As they are over a year, I feel comfortable in switching up their feed. If they enjoy it, I will make a larger batch and get it canned up.  I prefer to feed them high quality homemade meals. 

My inner doubting Thomas is feeling very leery of most things I can buy pre-made to make my life easier.  I don't know what a lot of the ingredients are, as I've never encountered them in the natural world.  And that applies to human and pet food.  

Maybe I'm not really lost in the past, maybe I am the way I am to survive this current world.  Maybe the journey is far different than we've been led to believe?

It's time to get with it... 

love and prayers... 


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...