Wednesday, February 1, 2023

more coffee...

I'm trying to force myself into being awake and productive this morning.  So far, we are not off to a great start. I mean, I woke up to a 75 pound puppy standing on my hair trying to wake me up, followed by a blast of icy cold air on my bare feet as I let them out and the realization that Hubs had to leave within 30 minutes of my blurry eyed self wandering downstairs.  Ya'll, it is down right difficult to function, cook breakfast and feed pups all on a sip of coffee within the first 30 minutes of waking up.  

Beau being all handsome
But dang, that extra two hours of sleep was heavenly.  I mean, I guess I could have stayed awake at 3:30 am when I heard Hubs wake up, but frankly, I didn't feel like starting my day in the middle of the night.  So after spending about an hour reading I thankfully fell back asleep.  I mean I am an early riser by nature, but I consider 3:30 am or even 4:30 am to be right in the middle of the night. 

Now he's off to work, pups have been fed and I just poured myself my second cup of coffee (although technically the first - as this one is actually hot as I am drinking it).  They are all doing their thing now, so I can relax for a bit and wake up officially. 

I have a busy day planned, I was a good wife yesterday and completed all of my paperwork chores, heck I even finished our taxes in the month of January.  I don't believe I have ever done that in my life. I just figured it was lingering, I had everything I needed, why not. Gotta say, while I strongly oppose our tax system, I admit that it feels good to have it over and done with this early. Instead of having it linger for months on end like an evil darkness. 

someone broke the dog... he laid like this for
at least 10 minutes... goofy boy

That means today I can focus on the things that involve working with my hands.  And being more active.  I decided that I am going to get some soaps made this week, just not how many and what variety.  Pretty sure that will happen as I start digging in my supply closet, looking at which ones we favor and the ones that I don't have to order anything for.  I am so very weary of waiting for supplies to arrive.  

I live in a fairly large city, you would think I could zip down the street to a local shop for things I use. I mean my hobbies aren't unusual or rare at all.  Sadly, that isn't even possible.  In this large city we do not have a single yarn shop, fabric stores are basically limited to the "big box" stores and a few very small quilt fabric shops. 

Not every sewing project is a quilt.  I made Hubs a robe for Christmas.  He'd picked the fabric, I was concerned with the quality while sewing, but figured it would last for the year at least and then I would make him another one later in the year.  As he walked across the room the other day I noticed that the fabric had started to shred. Seriously?  

Soap making supplies are also fairly limited.  There is a small soap/candle making supply shop in the heart of downtown, but I have been there, purchased from them and used their products.  Sadly, not very good quality. 

I guess it is a fair representation of the lack of folks like me in our area. 

Belle is the queen of cushions
they are for her comfort

It's also time to clean the sewing studio.  I've been dragging my feet.  It's fairly organized still, just a bit chaotic after the Christmas rush.  But I've made the decision to part with some of my fabrics.  Not quilt making ones, but the large collection of kid based ones.  Polar fleeces, some denims, etc.  And it's time to further clean out some of the books.  The truth is I've hauled those around with me for decades, even prior to my move to the mid-west and if I haven't had time to dig into them and make something happen at this point, I will probably not be doing anything with them in the future. It's time to let them go and hopefully someone else can find uses for all of them. 

I want to do it.  I am ready to do it.  But after the basement cleansing, honestly, I am feeling a bit intimidated by the idea. I am positive that just like the basement, I will feel so refreshed and ready to utilize the space once I have cleared out the extras.  

I don't remember the exact verbiage of a quote I saw yesterday, but it addressed how healing it was to get rid of clutter.  I agree 100%, it clears the energy and space all around you.  Some of it you might mourn for a moment, feeling that you should have held on to it for sentimental reasons or... well there are hundreds of "or's".  When the reality is within a day or so, you aren't missing it, you don't even notice it isn't there. I fear that is why so many of us hold on to things when we know we are never going to use them or need them.  The what if's and the sentimentality are overwhelming for a moment. 

I'm wondering, does age make you more or less sentimental?  Personally, I am finding less and less need to hold on to things and more and more of a need to hold on to the memories associated with them. 

Well, my friends... the coffee is cooling and I am ready to tackle the day.  The normal things await and then I can move on to the extraordinary things... Remember to take a moment, send a few prayers to the heavens and have a amazing day... 

love and prayers... 



1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...