Saturday, November 28, 2020

lazy...

a beautiful friend at the intersection
How to spend a peaceful Saturday after Thanksgiving... hmmm... for me it's been two quiet days of movies, knitting, cutting soaps, a few errands and a tasty late lunch out with Hubs.  A quick drive through Kimmswick, a bit of time wandering the Shaw neighborhood visiting the shop of a sweet woman I have known for a long time. It's ending up with me sitting here in the semi-silence, semi-darkness lingering over what remains of my Hot Buttered Rum, never tried it before, and was searching for substitute for my rum spiced wine from Germany.  Not the same.  Not close, but it is definitely warming. 

I'm also reliving the past.  Seems like only yesterday my sweet mini-me was deeply in love with anything Barbie.  I'd made her a box of clothes for her barbie collection.  Different styles and colors.  She couldn't care less about that barbie collection now, except for the clothes.  She definitely doesn't want to share them with her little sister, baby dragon does not get the original dragon's barbie clothes.  It is definitely not happening. 

Fast forward almost a decade and baby dragon is all about the barbies.  Every time we are together I get the sweet little smile and the plea to play barbies. Something tells me that she needs her own collection of barbie dresses, jackets, sweaters and skirts. Treasures for her to guard jealously as she grows up. 

So while Hubs naps, he's feeling a tad under the weather, and I am sitting here in silence I decided to start looking for patterns.  I've spent about an hour picking out the ones to make for her.   She is still young enough that there will be years for her to enjoy them. I'm also being fussy, I want them to be easy enough for this gramma to be able to put on and take off a few dozen times in an hour.  No tiny buttons for me. She will need some blankets, pillows and stuff for her barbie house too. 

I love that she wants these things.  As much as I loved it when her sister did, and their mom before them.  It seems like this little window of time doesn't last very long.  It's important to me to take full advantage of this time. My various skills have ebbed and flowed.  As each one has come about I have learned new skills. Who knows what the sweet baby dragon will end up with. 

I am enjoying this time of stillness.  I have not given myself this opportunity for far too long.  Our days of vacation are rapidly fading.  Tomorrow is the final day. It will be gone like a blink.  I'm not really ready to go back.  Still so much that I long to do, but a part of me knows it's time.  I have work to do.  I have responsibilities.  

We haven't put up our decorations yet, a dear friend has been telling me literally for months I needed to watch the Hunger Games series.  She told me I would understand, I would see the correlation.  So bag of yarn in hand (no I cannot watch anything unless my hands are busy creating) We spent hours curled up together in the man cave.  A full scarf later, I can now say I have watched it.  My anxiety in knots for most of it, calmness at the end.  I think that bright colored scarf will come to be known as the Hunger Games scarf.  

Christmas boxes are still waiting downstairs. We're still trying to decide on doing the floor before we decorate. We should know for sure if we are going to wait for spring and will decorate next weekend. We've both felt super lazy these last two days.  So the waiting time isn't a problem. I don't know if it is the culmination of a vacation gently fading away, the feelings of Thanksgiving, the angst of missing the boy, or a combination of it all. 

I barely left the house yesterday - only the 10 minutes it took to head to the girls house to pick up ham and pie for Hubs.  I don't do Black Friday shopping.  And I am struggling with the sheer volume of ads I have received all the while telling people to skip family gatherings.  I have deleted over 100 ads in 48 hours.  It's been insane. I can't process it all. Family bad, shopping with strangers in mass quantities good?  I don't do well with those types of thought processes. 

Today we ran to the mall for a short while.  We were worried they would be crazy busy, and were pleasantly surprised.  Less than 30 minutes later, the curtains for the man cave in hand we were gone.  I hate shopping.  Absolutely loathe it. Add the mask mandates, the direction signs throughout and I might slide darn close to losing my mind. 


I sweet talked the Hubs into a quick trip to Wild Olive Provisions, I wanted to support a small business and what better way than to frequent a long time member of my Y's. A quick chat with my friend and we were homeward bound with a tote full of fresh breads, cheeses and fine wines.  How better to end the only shopping I intend to do this weekend. Later when Hubs is hungry I will have snacks to feed him. 

Well, it's time to wander back into the search for barbie clothes. Back to my memories, plans for future memory moments and some time with sweet Hubs.  

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...