Monday, November 23, 2020

pickup man...

Brrrr... I had to give in, I was sitting out on the deck with my sweet Hubs, enjoying the cool fall evening and a restful day of vacation.  I guess I am not as tough as I thought, because I am still shivering.  The deeper the sun sank the more bitter the cold wind became. Even my jacket and fuzzy blanket could not compete.  

He will just have to sit out there alone, smoking his cigar, listening to smooth jazz and laughing at funny pictures and pranks.

I am so blessed to have this sweet man in my life.  He tries so hard to never let anyone see that he is nothing more than a marshmallow.  Even his outside isn't as rough as he'd like you to believe.  And his inside, is more the consistency of a toasted marshmallow. 

We ran a few errands today, we needed to pick up a few supplies at the hardware store.  His determination, the "no challenge I can't solve" mentality are fun. He was determined to make that old receiver pick up more channels, no sense in getting something new.  I needed some odds and ends for gifts I am making. After wandering, searching, asking for help and finding a "solution" we headed out.  I'd skipped breakfast and couldn't wait to get home for lunch it was after one and I was working on a massive headache. 

Lost in chatter and plans I saw the moment it happened.  There was a lady and her teenage daughter trying to shove a 4 x 7 piece of plywood into the back of her Kia Soul.  It was definitely not happening.  His eyes wandered over a couple of times as we walked past and got in the pick up.  My little 2 x 4 sheet of wood didn't even need the bed of a truck, and there she was trying desperately to put it into the back seat by this time. I don't know if you are familiar with the size of a Kia, but I can tell you, it stuck out the door by a good 2 feet or so.  

I kept telling him, go ahead, I can see it on your face, you are going to go help her.  There was that little twitch in his dimple, the one that always lets me know I am dead on target. A slight glimmer in his eyes.  It's who he is.  He might talk gruff, he might tell you he isn't going to do something, and all the while his very soul is moving him into action. 

As we pulled beside her and offered to drive it to her house, she was flustered and embarrassed.  I would have been too. As she reluctantly agreed he pulled up behind her so they could put it in back. 

I'm not sure if it was the gesture, the attempt to appear tough and inconvenienced, those sparkling pretty blue eyes or simply him being him, but the words to "Pickup Man" by Joe Diffie started playing in my mind.  "There's something women like about a pickup man..." yep, there is!

He is definitely a pickup man.  

The whole way to her house we were laughing, because it looked until almost the last moment, like she was going to our own neighborhood.  It was close, just one street down and around the opposite corner. It took mere moments out of our journey home.  Seeing the car in the drive - there was no way that woman was getting that plywood home without help.  The SUV in the drive was even smaller. 

She'd sent her daughter scurrying for cash, I think she might have offended him a bit with that offer.  In that soft way of his, he just asked her to pay it forward. 

That is one of the things I love the most about him.  He is always paying it forward.  He will by a meal for an officer, one time he bought lunch for an entire group of soldiers, he simply doesn't think about it, he just does it. 

When I get crazy ideas, because I might top him in the crazy sometimes, he is always there to be my partner in crime.  He's always the first to offer a hand, to do a random act of kindness that no one will even catch. Oh he will grumble, that is who he is.  He can't let you see the softness.  He can't appear to be sweet. But he is. 

Today I was having problems with my foot.  As he worked to remove the knots in the muscles and release the pain, he noticed that I was drinking coffee - still and also notice that I hadn't been drinking much water.  A few moments later he appears with a cold class of mineral water, to make sure I was okay. 

He's a grumpy old guy some times.  He can growl with the best of them.  But under it all, is this amazingly attentive, dedicated, loving soul.  A man that builds me a fire and makes my coffee while allowing me to sleep to the very last moment, because he knows I need my sleep.  The guy that brings me dinner when my frantic rush to get things done around the house, means I forgot to pack dinner and I work late, he can be exhausted, wanting nothing more than to be asleep and he still shows up with something yummy. 


He is my soul mate.  The one I was meant to be with forever. I know this.  Time seems to flow.  Laughter seems to always happen.  Neither of us are perfect by far, together... well together we definitely seem to be. 

He carries hurts that I can't imagine. And still finds endless amounts of love to give.  He lost more than most, but if he doesn't tell you, you will never know.  He will tell you more inappropriate jokes than you can imagine (it's simply who he is) and he will do anything at all to help you find a smile you may have lost. 

I cherish my grumpy, ol' pickup man! He's always regretting being older, longing for his youth.  I wouldn't change a thing about him.  I know he came into my life at the right time.  I wouldn't have gotten along with him when he was younger. I love the softer, kinder, gentler, life worn man that I have.  I'm sad that he's had the blows that he's had, I firmly believe they have created that kind gentle soul. 


If you are ever struggling, I hope someone like my sweet Hubs is around to help you out, in fact if a guy with beautiful blue eyes, sparkly white hair and a bright red pickup asks if you need a hand it might just be him.  And if you ever meet up with someone that needs a hand, always try to pay it forward. 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...