Sunday, December 30, 2018

how do you say hygge?

Are you living a hygge life? 

I'm not sure the first time I heard the word, probably in regards to certain essential oils from the company I buy most of my soaping supplies from. Being the type of person I am, I immediately started to explore what they were talking about.  Were they talking about fragrances or was it more.

What was this strange word that I definitely could not pronounce?  I am actually still struggling to say it correctly.  My brain completely does not see hoo-ga when reading those letters.  I'm not truly sure I have learned enough to fully know if I am even capable of living a hygge life. At least not where I find myself right now. 

Yet, while watching the flight progress of my kids - I hate when they are on planes - I worry endlessly, I realized that maybe the Dane's don't have a complete stronghold on this wonderful, hard to explain state of mind.

The bits and pieces that I have read thus far all talk about a sense of home, peace, a joy in the simple things, cozy, warm, welcoming, comforting and calm.  Granted they are things that I feel Hubs and I have moved away from right now, I also feel those very things pulling us back. 

After leaving briefly to drop the kids at the airport, we came home.  At first Hubs had wanted to go out and have lunch at one of his favorite places.  Then he remembered we had noodles at home.

Home was calling. 

We fixed a simple lunch and he headed up for a nap.  Me, I lit my candle, the same one that for some reason has burned most of the day and it's just a normal votive.  I curled up with some needlework and a historical documentary to keep me company.  The very act was working magic.  I was calming, I couldn't begin to tell you what I watched, I truly wasn't watching.   It was just background noise.


As the day wore on, I realized that without thought or planning we were doing so much that was listed as a reason the Dane's are some of the happiest people alive. Candles were burning, we shared mundane shows that required little thought - just allowed us to be together.  I made hot tea for each of us and while Hubs made his sandwiches from leftovers, I prepared my chestnuts to roast.


There were no screaming children.  The drone of noise from everyone around us was beautiful, simply by the absence.  We were in our own home.  We chatted and puttered in our kitchen, not making anything substantial, I started the beans to soak for tomorrow's dinner.  A bit later sweet Hubs made a tray of chocolate chip cookies.  Total indulgence, just being.  Our dinner is not going to win any awards for being nutritious for the body. The nutrients it fed our souls, I feel it held that in abundance.

I almost laughed over the fact that we were both wearing our lounging clothes.  Socks to warm our toes and neither of us in a hurry to put away the beauty of Christmas.  Allowing the calm and essence to simply fill our souls. 

We have a few errands to run tomorrow, I think both of us would prefer to stay in our comfy clothes and continue to absorb this hygge lifestyle that we are living without planning it.  For too long we have filled our non-working hours with errands, chores and somewhere along the way we - or maybe just me - forgot to stop and simply be.

Tonight when I spray my pillows and blankets with rose water, a new found joy of mine, it is so calming and beautiful, I will send all my gratefulness to the heavens.  As I do every night.  Yet tonight, I will also say a thank you.  I love when my eyes are opened.

I've been thinking and writing about my need for balance, a need to recenter and to move forward.  Mourning the loss of my garden that brought me joy, the lack of time to write and to create.  The loss of the things that bring me joy... and here it was in my power all along.  Feeling a bit like Dorothy tapping those red slippers together. 

All the things described above are things we always used to do.  We saved dinners out for special things, now that is cooking at home.  We somehow foolishly gave up the very things that made us feel whole.

Hubs asked if we could go riding next Saturday - it will be fairly warm.  Normally, I would feel that I was giving up time to do tasks.  Today, after this time of realization, I was excited at the idea.

Is this sudden massive following of hygge, this quest for balance and happiness, an indicator that we as a society have forgotten to simply be?  I would hazard that is a big yes!

I'm going to continue on this path.  I like the way it feels.  It reminds me of when Hubs and I were first married.  We didn't have much money, but we definitely made time for each other and we were creative in finding ways to spend quality time together and not spend a lot of money. 

Anyone else find that they are traveling the same path?  That without realizing it they are following a hygge life and probably could count themselves as some of the happiest people in the world? It's not about money, it's not about being social.  It might just be designed by introverts like me, what are the odds of a whole country of introverts? I am going to continue studying, striving to understand.

Now where did I put those cards?  Maybe I can talk Hubs into a Rummy rematch tomorrow... I mean, do we really need groceries?

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...