Wednesday, July 19, 2023

still...


Hubs' brought me my coffee and woke me up to see the strange color of the sky this morning, we were both a bit stunned.  Before sunrise the entire sky was filled with an eerie orange glow, the sun is not up enough at 5 am usually to affect the sky like that. I tried to get a picture, but nothing would capture it. It was dense and so very orange, looked like you could reach out and touch it. 

Even though it was eerie it was oddly calming and peaceful too.  The Lou had rolling thunder for most of the night and both of us had struggled with sleep. All night I could hear my grandpa's voice, telling me not to fear the thunder, it was simply the angels bowling. If that is the case, it was definitely a tournament of sorts. 

It's been crazy quiet these past few hours.  I was out in the garden in between rain bursts, just like I do every morning.  I was pruning, harvesting, praying not necessarily in that order.  The time I spend in my garden fills my heart, it's my quiet time with the Lord.  Normally the air is filled to capacity with birds, squirrels, the various critters waking up to face the day.  I just heard the first bird song a short bit ago.  And it was a solo voice. No responding tweet happened.  It's strange. 

Maybe they heard Sunday's message.  Maybe? Psalms 46:10.  Be still, and know that I am God. I know I am listening.  Oddly enough two of the pastors that listen to had that message in the past week. Seems pretty relevant in the times we are living in. 

I spent some time out there in the silence, picking tomatoes, trying to decide if I want to harvest the peppers or give them a bit more time to grow, pondering if I was feeling sturdy enough to walk down in the mud to harvest green beans and accepting the fact that the yard was not going to get mowed today.  All the while thinking, feeling his presence.  

Many times throughout my life I have turned into myself.  Not choosing to hear that quiet stillness.  Thinking that I knew better how to move forward with my life.  I always reflect on those arrogant moments and feel very humbled.  Each time, God brought me to my knees, as any good parent would.  And as soon as I turned back to him, the struggle, the challenge, the rough spot disappeared. I am striving to be a more dutiful daughter, to listen with my heart.  To be still.  

I was allowing this crazy mixed up world to seriously affect me. The more I give in to being still, the more calm I have become. The strange orange silence this morning felt like an affirmation that I am on the right path. 


After a wonderful dinner with new friends from church on Monday night, I spent most of yesterday catching up on podcasts and doing needlework after I finished my morning chores.  Today will be likely more of the same.  I am addicted to embroidery work right now and working on several youth projects for the craft show in September.  I am not finished with this little vest, but I am quite thrilled with how it is turning out. 

make a wish

I also have some projects to work on in my studio, I am seriously trying to vary my projects.  Now that I have full use of my thumb again (FYI - frankincense oil is such a blessing) I don't want to do mess it up again.  Almost six months of healing was enough to remind me to not push it. I was hoping to get some soaps made, but the weather is far too damp for that, it will take forever to set up.  

larger one I am working on

The next few months will be busy and fruitful. Very much so.  If I could simply get my head to slow down with new ideas.  It is definitely going faster than my fingers can keep up with. Hubs' thought yesterday's project would take me longer than it did, unfortunately not everything can take me a full day or I will have a very sad booth at Kinmundy.

Well... the sun is finally breaking through the deep heavy blanket of clouds, I am starting to hear more bird songs, so I guess that is my cue to get busy with the day.  Anyone else jumping in?  

Make today count.  But please remember to be still, if only for a few precious moments, be still...

love and prayers


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...