Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Give us this day...

It's so quiet in the house this morning.  Sweet Hubs had to be to work basically in the middle of the night.  There is a big project starting today, having been in the same line of work, I completely understand the insanity of the hours sometimes. It isn't an everyday occurrence, but there are times.  This month has had a lot of those times.  Mostly caused by the insane weather we have had this month.  It's been crazy.  Today is just a normal big project. 

I have been puttering in the silence taking care of my chores for the day.  That way I won't feel guilty when I head into one of the craft spaces.  I feel like today is going to be wrapped up in the sewing room.  I am not all together sure what inspired me to sign up for a craft show, when I have very little inventory made up... oh well, it's a done deal now, so time to hustle.  

Add that to it's harvest season and I am seriously questioning my own sanity.  This years' garden has been so very bountiful, that I cannot seem to keep up.  What an incredible challenge to have.  As I walk around harvesting and watering I thank God for such blessings.  I mean today alone our meals will contain roasted potatoes and peppers from the garden and steamed green beans.  There will also be salads of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers that are multiplying at a rate that seems impossible. 

Yup... that's a cuke I missed... Not sure what
to do with that...

Yesterday alone I harvested 8 cayenne peppers that are dehydrating as I type.  The beautiful plants are covered with peppers and each day yields more and more.  We use a lot of red pepper in our cooking, so who could possibly complain about something like that? A bit later today I will harvest a few more of the chamomile buds and also some white clover buds.  I am dehydrating those for a variety of purposes.  They make a wonderful cup of tea or I can put them in tinctures and oils for medicinal use. I haven't really started drying the herbs yet, although I really need to get organized.  And it's time to start planning and planting the fall garden. 

Yep... I might have been a touch crazy.  

The reason that I chose the name Waste Knot, Want Knot is because of the fact that I want the entire focus to be on upcycling, reusing, repurposing and using up what I already have, bits, pieces, scraps of this or that.  

Our great grandmothers and grandfathers survived several times in our country's history that were not bountiful or plentiful.  In fact the great depression destroyed many, it also brought forth some incredibly strong and creative people.  Ones that were able to not only survive, but thrive.  If you are here today, you probably have a healthy dose of that strength and ingenuity.  

Not all of us use that part of ourselves.  We've allowed society to create newer and better (that part is seriously questionable) things.  All in the name of making our lives easier. I'm not so sure it's made life easier.  In fact I would propose that it has made us slaves to a commercial system, one where we trade bits and pieces of our very souls in exchange for the next great thing.  

For years I have written about my own struggles with work/life balance.  Oddly, I work harder now than I ever did for someone else.  But the balance is 100% about living my best life. As that has evolved for me over the past two plus years I am even more inclined to think like my ancestors did.  





I don't know all of my family tree, but the parts I do know tell a story of strong people.  People that were survivors.  Some of the areas they settled in give new meaning to the phrase "dirt poor".  Then I follow those family lines, I realize that not only did they survive, they thrived and flourished.




Use it up, use it out, make it do or do without.  For years I have said that verse here in this blog as well as a personal mantra. Hubs and I are often tinkering on this or that, finding solutions that we didn't even know we had.  Now that I have the time, energy and my health has returned and is balanced I find myself being drawn more and more into using my imagination and skills.  There aren't really enough hours in the day for everything I dream of doing, probably some of the reason that my sleep has been spotty and disrupted.  

back of cherries

first one from old doily and feedsacks

Kitty embroidery and feedsacks

backing of kitty from practice quilting

Once I finally have enough inventory, I will figure out the next steps.  I'm focusing on having faith in the path that God is leading me down.  There are many sustainable solutions using the resources we already have available to us. Why do we feel compelled to buy new when something that already exists is heading for a landfill?




I just finished the third kid's jacket/vest that I upcycled, I enjoy stitching on them so much.  Especially during the evening hours sitting with Hubs and unwinding.  I am not someone that can sit still.  My hands just need to be engaged.  I might have been told too many times as a child that "idle hands are the devil's playground".  Who knows. What I do know is that when I am not busy doing something, I feel ill at ease and restless.  I'd rather feed that beast than deal with those feelings.  If you are ever at my house you will find many odds and ends that fill nooks and crannies, so that no matter where I find myself, I am always in a space of being able to be busy. 

Waste Knot, Want Knot will not have a common style to what you will find.  Sort of.  What it will have is an assortment of useful items created from things bound for waste.  This will cater to my need to change things up, I get bored doing the same things over and over, and also allow me to work with whatever I have acquired and have thought of a new use for.  Today might very well involve some old fan blades, the sewing room and I have a few projects for the crafting room as well.  I also have a few things that need to happen with my precious long arm.  See... I am coming up with far more than I have hours of the day to fill.  Such a beautiful gift to have. 


Well, I'd love to chat about my hopes and dreams for where all of this is going, the plan for it's future and all of that good stuff... but the clock is ticking today and I have a few more minor things to take care of before I can get busy.  I plan to take tomorrow off completely and spend it with my dear sweet Hubs and our pups.  We've had several ideas but we really aren't sure which path we will follow.  I mean, for us it is such a special day... 20 years... be still my heart.  

love and prayers...

2 comments:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...