Wednesday, August 25, 2021

normal on deck...

Poof! Just like that the "recovery room" returned to the guest/ice box room.  Hubs LOVES that air conditioning unit in there and when he gets overheated that is his go to hideout.  Frankly, it's a tad too cold for me.  My toes are still freezing from my stay in there. 

I had intended to put the guest room back together last night.  I had a bit of a rough day yesterday, due to lack of sleep and pushing a bit hard over the previous days.  So instead, I lounged in my bed.  Not the guest room, mine!  It was pure heaven! And it sealed the deal for me, I was moving back across the hall.  I was sleeping in my own spot last night.  

One of the dearest young men I know came for dinner last night.  I will always cherish his entrance into my life and the joy of working with him for almost a year and a half.  He is getting ready to leave back home and Hubs and I were honored to spend many hours talking with him last night, sharing a meal (which I was so excited to help with and harvest some veg from the garden for) and day dreaming.  It was wonderful.  



We shared shots of the most amazing hazelnut liquor that his mom sends him from home and talked about places that we love to travel to and visit.  We made plans for Hubs and I to someday (when the world returns to normal) travel back to Germany to visit with him.  We talked about his hopes for the future and our future plans.  

It was incredible! We also started plans for a going away party before he leaves the country.  All our treasured friends together again for one night. As soon as I have the date we will definitely start planning.  I miss them all so very much! They are scattering to the winds like beautiful dandelion seeds, off to spread to other areas and other dreams. 

It was late when he left, so I never quite got around to the room, I just moved my pillows back to my bed and snuggled in.  Even if my ceiling fan died while I was recovering, it was pure paradise to be back in my space. 

As I stretched awake this morning I felt energized and rested, something that I hadn't realized I was missing. I felt like tackling the world.  And from the ache in my knee right now I might have.

It felt so empowering to disassemble the "recovery room"  to vacuum out the tracks left from the walker, to tidy all the medications and gather up the piles of things sitting around to entertain me.  I didn't do a great job at making the bed, but flexibility isn't my strong suit right now. We still need to center the bed again, as it had to be moved to a strange angle to accommodate the walker.  If felt wonderful to put all of the tools of the last few weeks away.  I'm not willing to part with them, the reality of age is that we may need them again.  But for now they are stored away, wrapped in prayers of never needing them again. 

After completing the guest room and while enjoying coffee in the darkness before dawn in the treetop garden I started to look at my poor neglected garden.  It took me roughly 3 hours with all the breaks needed, but every pot has been weeded, the plants that have finished their life cycle have been removed, down the hill to compost and provide shelter for the winter hibernation of critters. Next year's garden will be very different and I am working on determining what deck based herbs will move into rail based beds.  


I also spent a bit of time talking to the birds, the little hummingbirds are definitely showing up and making their presence known.  I wish they didn't move so fast, I would love to have a picture.  And as I was cleaning out the lettuce bed I noticed two small brown feathers with bright red tips, super fluffy and soft.  I am guess one of our babies that frequent the feeders was molting his baby feathers getting prepared to soar in the skies with his siblings and friends. 

It was a bit tiring, but it is so amazing to actually feel like a contributing part of our family again.  Not so needy, only a little bit.  As Hubs fixed my watering system for the garden, I was able to hose down some of the debris that falls out of the garden (usually with the help of our local neighborhood squirrel) and start the end of summer clean up. 

Sweet Hubs is following me around with my cane, he's so afraid still that I might fall.  I am actually far steadier without it.  I think it provides me with a false sense of security, and I find myself leaning into it instead of my leg.  He has taken his job as caregiver so very seriously. 

I've already decided the treetop garden will morph next year into less of a vegetable garden and more of an English garden filled with herbs and useful flowers.  I will spend the winter exploring the most hardy versions of everything and where I want to plant them.  Now that we have our camper, I want to be able to leave without the worry of who will water the veggies.  It will still be beautiful and useful, just not so needy. 

I am so looking forward to camping again.  I would love to go this weekend, we haven't got any plans and it's supposed to be pretty lovely out.  I just don't think I am quite ready to climb in and out and handle the various parts of being out in the camper.   It's a bit soon. I haven't even been in the truck for longer than 30 minutes, I guess I should tackle that first. 

So instead of enjoying the tail end of summer we are going to focus on chores around the house.  I have a couple of quilts to work on and Hubs has some house cleaning chores (pressure washing the house) that have been lingering.  I have to admit, that I love pressure washing and wish I felt strong enough to attempt it for him.  Although with us you never know and we might find ourselves doing something different all together!

It's time to snuggle in my blanket and sit peacefully doing some needlework.  My knee needs the rest, like I said I might have pushed too hard, and my hands need to be busy.  As does my mind. 

Peace and love!

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...