Thursday, August 26, 2021

in the void...

As the sun started to break over the horizon this morning Hubs and I sat silently in the treetop garden.  Watching all of our beautiful little feathered friends starting their day. The hummingbirds were the star attraction this morning.  When I had walked out on the deck to water the garden, I stood silently and watched mama hummingbird for a few minutes.  She wasn't afraid of me, nor was she concerned that I was so close to her food.  She was happily flitting back and forth, fussing at the bee that had discovered their feeder, and definitely not wanting to share with him. 

She rushed away as I got my camera, isn't that always the way, so I took advantage of that time to water and fuss with my garden.  It looks so much better now that I have had the time and energy to work on it a bit. Hubs was a sweetie and took care of the front plants.  The high temperatures have definitely been testing their fortitude these past two weeks.  

Having finished the chores it was time to relax, to enjoy our little paradise and watch our friends.  Today, the hummingbirds are definitely in rare form.  Mama enjoyed quite a bit of solo time, eating to her hearts delight.  She even sat on the string of lights several times.  I find her humorous.  Papa hummingbird on the other hand is definitely in a grouchy mood today, he keeps chasing her away from the feeder, quite aggressively.  I've never seen two hummingbirds fight, but let me tell you those two are definitely quarreling today.


As the bees have located the feeder, I think we are going to have to get another feeder for the hummers.  I don't want to chase away the bees, they need the support also, but I do so enjoy the hummers and I don't want the bees to chase them away either.  I've noticed on almost all of the social media sites that people all over our community are struggling with the same thing.  


Sitting in the silence watching them, catching glimpses of the beautiful pink sunrise peaking through the trees, promising another super hot and humid day, I felt such peace. 


The peacefulness is a bit shocking for me.  So much is going on that it feels like life is coming at us all hard and fast.  It feels like there is never time to catch your breath from one thing to another.  If it isn't happening to me personally, it is happening to the people that I care about. The world feels like it is flying from one crisis to another, and we are all kind of sitting in the middle of this storm just doing our best to stay centered and calm. 

Every time I have taken a breath lately, it feels as though something else pops up.  Filling up my calendar with things that don't fill my heart.  For the second time since living in Missouri, I've been called for jury duty.  It won't be until the end of September, but I am not excited about it.  I get civic duty and all, I just know those types of situations stress me out.  And since I haven't had to wear my "people" face for a long time, I feel it will be one of those "I can't people" situations.  I'm not going to focus on it, but I am not excited.

Yet the fact that I am finding such peacefulness in life is a blessing. When I had my last reading a bit ago, she told me the one message I should take from it all was to go with the flow, to be calm.  It must have really struck a cord, because even when I find myself starting to feel overwhelmed, I draw myself back.  I stop, I process and I have faith. 

In so many areas of life right now I feel that many of the people I love are being called to simply have faith.  I think the thing that amazes me, is that almost to the person, they are.  They aren't sitting in the rocking chair of worry.  They are focusing more on that chop wood and carry water mentality.  I'm right there with them. 

I'm excited to dive in and really kick start my quilting business.  I want to get my new longarm and really get moving.  And yet inside is the quiet voice that is telling me have patience.  Everything comes in it's own time.  The more I listen to that voice, the more the world feels right.  I don't feel stressed.  I'm not anxious.  I am peaceful.  I am enjoying this slower pace.  The wonder that comes with slowing down and spending a quiet morning watching hummingbirds.  While speaking in whispered tones to my sweet Hubs as we enjoy the moment and try not to disturb them.  

I pray each day that everyone, not just my loved ones, is finding a way to that peace.  There is simply too much hurt, betrayal and ugly in the world right now. That so much of the fear, worry, hatred that is popping up is being forced on us, to create those feelings, the very opposite of peace. But if everyone could step back, take a deep breath and try to look at things from all angles we might just find that we are all hoping for the same exact thing.  


For peace, love, respect, joy, community, hope, calm... oh this list is endless... I think I'm going to go see if my hummingbird couple are over their spat and just take a bit more time to slide back into peaceful oblivion. 

Love and peace all...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...