Friday, December 31, 2021

a toast...

Less than eleven hours left until 2021 is simply a number we have moved past.  When we wake up tomorrow the calendar will say we are in a new year.  I've been up in my sewing room working on a project, Hubs has been watching movies and entertaining our sweet puppies that appear to be needing lots of rest the past two days, or maybe they have been sleeping that much all along and we were too busy snuggling to notice. Our daily world is pretty much the same as always except for the fact that Hubs has a holiday from work.

Poor Hubs is looking far worse for the wear and I am very thankful that my knee prevents me from getting on the floor easily to play with the pups.  Their little nails have led him to looking like he's wandered through a smashed glass window. Although I believe he is loving the sweet babies and the energy they bring to our lives.  I am sure his split lip and cuts to his nose will heal just fine and he will forgive them. 

As I was stitching I was listening to a couple of astrologers that I really enjoy.  The share the flavor of the astrology, but they do not tell you this or that will happen.  I like that.  As I was listening to them, I was pondering a bit of what they were chatting about.  It sounds like astrologically the next few years are going to be... well dumpster fire is what comes to mind.  Although it also sounds like it will be our personal choice if we participate or not, it will be up to us to determine how much of the chaos we choose to participate in.  Truthfully, I think that has always been our choice. 

One of the questions they asked us to consider involved where is our own line in the sand so to speak.  So much of what they were talking about resonated loudly with me.  Focusing on prayer, meditation, looking for the helpers, being the helpers.  Intentional attention to our planet, the animals, to planting food that is nutritious and filling. Asking us to take care of our planet, to look at how we do things and to look to see if there is another way to do it. 

I spent some time looking at small bits of my life.  Creating, celebrating, collaborating, finding ways to expand my physical, mental and spiritual health. Finding more ways to attract abundance to our lives in many ways.

I refuse to make resolutions, those are simply an opportunity to let yourself down, to destroy all of the good intentions and ideas when you rapidly wrote them out.  Because we all make basically the same resolutions each year.  Who hasn't said they will lose (or gain) weight, exercise a certain amount, make more money, clean their house, work on promotions, etc.  Those are pretty basic things, a bubble of physical things. They always seem to be about changing things about ourselves, who we are and our habits. 

I want to dig deeper.  I want to plan differently. 


As we wrap up this year, I want to celebrate all the different layers of who I am and focus intentions on further developing and growing those things.  I don't want to feel that in order to succeed I have to remake myself.  Because I don't, none of us do.  I firmly believe that we are all here at this time to find our true selves and expand that beautiful being. 

Now, I also want to say that in finding that person, there are things that are external that I do want to further remove from my life. I do want to continue to pare away some of the things that I have been conditioned to believe, taught to experience in my daily life.  There are things that I feel strongly about, that I have been pushing aside, that I am no longer going to push aside. 

I am terribly afraid that in 2022 I might be accused of being a bit self-centered.  I don't like that idea, I don't even like the feeling.  Truth be told for most of my life, everyone, everything, every responsibility has come before my own self-care.  I know a lot of people like that, and I have probably told you so if you are one of them.  

I still intend to care deeply, to give of myself and to lift others up as high as possible.  On the other side of that coin, I intend to devote more time and energy to self-care.  If my own cup is empty, what on earth do I have to pour from? And by self-care, I am definitely not talking about candlelight, bubble baths and champagne, although those don't hurt from time to time. 

No, self-care is something that I started working on this year.  It's taking care of my own needs, my own growth.  It's letting go of things, energy, ideas, and just general crap that do not serve me any longer.  I started purging a lot of that this year.  I intend to continue on that path.  I find I have more to give to others when I feel that my own needs are being met, that I am not doing things because I am obligated, more so because I want to do them. 

I'm sitting here in my favorite chair, gazing out the window at the beauty of the world resting for the winter (that hasn't quite decided to come).  The pups are snoozing, the Hubs is now snoozing and I am in a great mental spot.  I am reflecting on the person I was on January 1, 2021.  I remember staying up with Hubs, I remember standing outside in the bitter cold, staring up at the stars and yelling happy new year!  Toasting it in with wine and a kiss.  Confidently saying that 2021 was going to be our year.  Ironically, as the clock is ticking down on 2021, I am feeling like I am comfortably safe in saying, this year definitely provided many needed changes.  Brought balance.  It started a year of rebirth.  

I am looking forward with wonder and awe.  I am excited to see this new year unfolding.  So many things are changing.  I don't know if any of us really disconnect enough to savor and experience them in their purest forms.  Most of us look at things through some foggy haze.  We often think what we are told to think, feel what the "herd" wants us to feel.  But do we stop and really feel?  Do we reason through the information we are given and then ask our deepest heart to help us process it?  Or do we wait for instructions?

This upcoming year is going to be focused on that very thing.  I want to listen to my heart a whole lot more and the outside noise a whole lot less.  I want to spend more time in nature, less time on social media.  More time creating, less time destroying.  

I know this feels rambling, I'm still clarifying my thoughts and plan for the year to come.  I think I am on the right path for me though... 


So cheers to 2021, it's been full of growth, opportunities, doors opening and so much healing.  I am grateful for the lessons and changes. 

See you in 2022... I am working on defining my line in the sand, it's not too different than it's always been...

love and peace... 


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...