Saturday, April 24, 2021

this day...

Snuggled in a quilt that was just over 19 years in the making, marveling that I finally finished it. It isn't perfect, but darn close.  I probably pulled out an entire spool of thread in the process.  It was never going to be fancy or hang in quilt museum.  It was always meant to be a utility quilt. Strong and usable.  

My cup of tea is almost steeped and Hubs is starting to fall asleep.  I'm sitting in my absolute favorite seat in the house.  It fits me perfectly.  I don't usually find peace up here.  Not because I don't love it, nor that is isn't one of my favorite spaces.  Simply because, normally there are piles of laundry sitting around me pleading to be ironed and put away. There is nothing peaceful about unfinished chores.  

I am so thankful for this day.  For starting it with meditation and gratitude.  For deep conversations with Hubs, further digging into our future plans.  I am not usually much of a "future" kind of person.  Normally, I just know it will come.  I live in the here and now. For being focused and energized.  For simply living life. 

I have been listening to a wonderful summit online.  Honestly, I had a bit of a freak out moment this morning.  Trying to be quiet, as my early morning riser (Hubs) had fallen back asleep watching a movie, I'd decided to catch up on that ironing and my summit.  I was several days behind already.  Not the best way to start a 21 day summit. I had finished my blog and already published it.  I wrote what was on my heart this morning, I always do.  

Evidently the universe has definitely been listening in.  Because the first three presenters spoke right to the very thoughts and feeling I have been having.  It was a decidedly creepy moment.  The first presenter could have literally been describing my journey on this planet.  The back of my head was crawling, much like it is right now. 

This day has been electric.  That is the only way to describe it.  When I woke up to rain, I anticipated a lazy day.  Nothing accomplished, simply existing.  A lot of the weekends are that way for me, and as this was a 6 day week, I expected that to be the case. 



Instead, as I wrap up this day, as I unwind and count my blessings, I can count this incredibly relaxing and productive day as a major blessing. 

I'm tired, my knee is hurting, but I am feeling accomplished.  Oddly, the chores I completed didn't feel like chores, they weren't another check box for me.  I was truly taking care of myself and Hubs.  Evidently I was so engrossed in the two sewing projects that have waited months for my attention, that I never even heard my sweet Hubs come up to the sewing room, watch me for a bit and then turn around and leave. He hadn't wanted to break my concentration.  

A pair of pants that were too short for him, are now a great pair of shorts - perfect for summer float trips.  And the pair of pants that I was too short for, are now the perfect length.  A small bit of my sewing room has now been reclaimed. It felt powerful.  It felt like I was in control. 

A few errands were run, another taco stop for us at the little Mexican grocery in town.  Hubs is quite addicted. 

Mostly though, as I enjoyed this powerful, electrical and energizing day I went deep inside and just listened. I listened to my heart.  I listened to what I want life to be like and where it is now.  I was lost in deep thought and reflection as the day progressed.  

I'm getting ready to climb in bed, to rest a very weary body, I am so grateful.  I am grateful for those that reached out. I am grateful for my Hubs unwavering support, love and laughs. I am grateful for the feeling of completion that this day brings me.  

In my office by the door hangs a cross.  It has the words "I don't know what this day holds, but I know who holds this day." It has been in every office I have had since I became a property manager back in '07.  So very much has happened and changed.  And yet remained the same. Those words are like a shield and a talisman for me.  I often toy with bringing it home, and then remind myself that I probably need them more where they hang. 

I'm trying to live a far more grateful life, I'm curious, what are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...