Saturday, April 14, 2018

dawn...

Coffee brewing.  Birds chirping. Perfect way to wake up today.

I'm getting ready to unplug for the day. 

Hubs is still sleeping soundly.  The boys aren't ready to get up and go for their morning walk yet.  Sitting in the silence, is like being wrapped in a big fluffy warm blanket in the middle of a storm.

I honestly feel sorry for people that have to be surrounded by modern noise just to feel... what is it that they need all of that noise for?  Comfort? Security? Companionship?  I'm not really sure. 

I don't understand, because I truly don't need it.  In fact for me it is overwhelming.  Exhausting. 

I love this time of the day.  When the world is still sleeping.  When you are blanketed by natural quiet.  The wind through branches that have not yet started to fill with flowers and leaves. Rustling their limbs against each other.  A muted scratching as they glance along the exterior of the house.  I woke up to the sound of rain drops hitting the roof.  Well not the roof, but the metal chimney cover. 

The distant rumble of the train making it's early morning run is overshadowing the wind that just picked up, the rustle of the trees and the sound of the bird songs.  Thankfully it will only last for a moment.

Soon the world will wake up.  Shake off their Saturday morning sleepiness.  It will get back to being a blur of activity. It will be so loud that you will not be able to hear the soft melody of the wind chimes swirling gently in the breeze.  I can't be the only one that struggles with the noise of everyday life. I wish there was a pause button.

Hubs and I have plans to go riding with friends today. I'm not so sure that Mother Nature concurs.  I haven't checked the weather forecast, I am simply looking out the window.  Listening to the rain.  We aren't riding until noon, we might not be riding at all.  It's the mid-west after all, five hours can take you from winter to summer, so we will wait and see.

I hope it clears up, I could use the ride.  The wind in my face the ability to get away and forget.  We are planning to ride a fairly busy route today.  Hubs wants to show his new friend some of the best local rides, he's new in town. I would love the ride if it wasn't so crowded.  It's beautiful. Straight along the mighty Mississippi. 

We didn't make it up to Grafton earlier this year to see the eagles.  I am sure there will still be some young ones soaring high above the bluffs, but nothing compares to the the skies above being filled with what seems like hundreds of eagles gracefully riding the air currents off the bluffs, watching the rippling currents of the Mississippi for their next tasty morsel of seafood or the fields for a nice fat rodent or bunny. 

I'm sorry I missed them. Like my Dad, I love watching eagles.  They are so beautiful.

I haven't checked to see the conditions on the roads to and from Grafton.  All this rain may have the river too high to take the ferry over to Brussels.  I don't think we've had too much to keep us out of Grafton, but far too often in the spring their roads become impassible.

I guess we will do that before we head up there.  It's not that far away, but it is far enough that if it's impassible it's definitely too far of a ride to go nowhere.

While Hubs and the boys are still sleeping, I think I am going to steal a bit of time to do some spinning.  The beautiful caramel color of this alpaca roving is sitting her taunting me.  I have enough spun to ply with the little bit of a previous single that needs a mate.  I'm just not ready to pull the bobbin.  I want to fill it first. I'm trying to spend some time each week, although I'd love it to be each day pulling the soft roving into yarn.  I have no idea what I want to make with the yarn when I finish.  No idea whatsoever.  If I can spin enough and it's soft enough, maybe it will become a cardigan to romp around in on cool spring and autumn days?  Or maybe something for Hubs.  I don't make him much... he has a few favorites, but mostly he feels the wool's are too bulky for him.


Maybe as we daydream about the perfect retirement locations I should throw a few northern locales into the mix?  He might love my woolen sweaters then. And the warm socks that I have made.


Well, the coffee has finished brewing.  And I do think I want a few minutes of roving time.  Later this weekend there will be floors and toilets to install, soaps to make, plans to create and food to cook.  But for a few quiet moments, the warmth of the coffee and the soft clicks of my spinning wheel reminding me to oil it are all I want to enjoy.

Find your peace today.  Don't wait for tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...