Tuesday, August 13, 2019

taking that moment...

Woke up this morning to the sound of rain falling steadily on the chimney pipe.  Followed immediately by the roar of thunder and the brilliant flash of lightning making the entire room have an eerie glow. It was wonderful!  I am a total rain girl.  I guess it is growing up in Germany.  I'm not sure.  But I will trade a day of sunshine (unless I planned to go cruising in my little beetle with the top down) for a day of storms and rain. 

As I was lying there snuggled in my warm quilt, stretching and contemplating starting the day, the alarm hadn't gone off yet, I hear the rhythmic thump of Neeks tail against the door.  Hubs had woken up early again and was heading upstairs with coffee.  I don't really need an alarm, these two guys can handle it all on their own.  I wasn't ready for the barrage of lights, the switch from monotone news to louder jazz, and I really wasn't ready to converse with the already coffee filled, hour awake Hubs.  But his day was starting super early, so mine was too. 

I was savoring that peaceful moment. 

Although, I definitely don't regret the extra time to chat and spend time with Hubs.  We only went back to work yesterday and already things feel a bit out of control. I made a promise to myself and I fully intend to keep it.  I think Hubs will too, he is just going to have to juggle a bit to balance his week.

As I was up and ready, I mean may as well get the day started at the same time he did, I could have decided to rush into work.  Lord knows I have enough extra stuff staring me in the face right now.

I could have.

I didn't.  I made another cup of coffee, took advantage of the break in the rain and took the Neeko for a longer stroll, those quick dashes out in the rain were not going to suffice for the entire day. Took the time to make my bed, dust my mantle and all the urns that sit there, and now I am writing. 

I don't want to lose the beautiful gift those two weeks gave me. I had so many people yesterday tell me I looked refreshed and rested.  Those words were precious.  Because I feel refreshed and rested. 

I was hoping to get home a bit earlier than I made it, especially as I hadn't really had a lunch break. It didn't happen, but it was definitely earlier than the past year had been.

Bless my sweet Hubs by the way. 

I was pretty darn proud of myself yesterday morning.  Breakfast made, lunches packed, it was going to be the start to an amazingly organized day.  I'd even kept my promise to myself and had not looked at my phone for an hour after waking up. 

I was feeling pretty darn successful.

That came to a screeching halt as I was almost to work, with no time to turn around, and realized I had forgotten my lunch.  Remember we are not eating junk anymore, and I had a delish vegan pasta salad sitting at home. Right where I packed it.  Not with me.  I also knew I had nothing in my office that met the need.  It was going to be a long day!  I might have whined a bit while talking to Hubs.  That is the beauty of marriage, you always have someone to pout with and voice frustration, well among many other things... We had agreed that I would do my best to order something healthy for delivery, but I was definitely bummed. 

Around 11:30 am, just as my yummy breakfast was wearing off and I was just starting to consider who to order from in walks my awesome Hubs, with food!  He'd squeezed in a few extra minutes to make sure I had lunch.  Instead of a beautiful park with soft breezes blowing our hair and sparkling waters near by we had a picnic right there in my office.  The lunch and company were fabulous, I really would have preferred a beautiful park. But I am not trading that little bit of joy for anything.

I'm finding that life is truly about finding those moments and pockets of joy.  It can't be all nose to the grindstone.  It has to have those moments.

When I finally got home last night, I wanted nothing more than for someone else to cook.  The first day back is always tough after a short break, after two weeks, it was a bit daunting. I was mentally tired.  I was also tired of being inside.  I hadn't realized how much time I had spent enjoying being outside, until all I had was the view from my window. I definitely wasn't looking forward to more time inside doing "work". That lunch debacle had derailed my whole "organized" theme.


After a few pouty moments, a bit of playing chase Neeko through the house with toys, I decided I was definitely hungry.  Time to cook.  Nothing appealed to me, I didn't want black bean burgers again.  Even though they were delicious!  And I didn't really want my pasta salad (I mean I still needed lunch for today).  I was really craving some good Asian food, but didn't want to go anywhere and chance not being what I need to keep feeling good.

The struggle was REAL!

Flipping through the cookbook, deciding that sushi was not something I was ready to try while tired and hungry.  I wanted something quick. I happened upon a Pho-inspired Udon bowl.  I had all the ingredients, ironically, I mean if you never cook Asian food at home why would you have Chinese Five Spice in your spice rack... who knows, but I did!  I had recently decided to purchase some baby bok choy, I mean they weren't expensive and they looked adorable and I was simply sure I would find something to use them in. Thirty minutes later, we sat down to a delicious dinner. I was again feeling accomplished.  It's the little things. 


Now I just need to decide if it will be that yummy pasta salad for lunch or the Pho... decisions, decisions.  One thing for certain, I will definitely be taking my lunch today.

Hubs has a long day today, so I will be the one to make adjustments to insure Neeko gets his walk and dinner.  Chances are I will bring work home and catch up in silence. Who knows...

But for now the rain has let up, although I seriously enjoyed walking in the rain with Neeks, it was refreshing and powerful.  Like it was rinsing away the weariness.  And my stolen  planned "me" time is over.  It's time to go and earn my paycheck.  I feel a bit more balanced just for allowing myself time for me.

I'm ready...



No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...