Saturday, October 12, 2019

welcome autumn...

Alarm off, perfect sleeping weather, silent house... and of course I wake up 15 minutes before my alarm would have gone off, wide awake! How does that happen?  All week I struggle to wake up when it goes off, and when I can finally sleep, wide awake!  Ughh...

Maybe I just knew there was soon going to be a beautiful fire in the fireplace, a hot coffee liberally spiked with Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream (that sweet hubs managed to find - it's a tough one).  The fall weather I have been craving has arrived with a vengeance, it's a whopping 34 degrees out there this morning.  Perfect for these warm flannel jammies, a fire and coffee... 

Sweet Hubs was supposed to be going fishing today, he definitely decided a trip to Potosi and sitting in a boat on a rural lake, definitely not warm enough for him.  The crappie are thankful.  So am I.  While I don't begrudge him a morning with his buddy, I am thankful to have most of this weekend back to spend with him.  I definitely feel like we do not get enough time. 


Now, to decide how to mix up the day... there are so many wonderful things going on this weekend.  I had planned on catching up on my cooking class, and I will probably do that here shortly after the coffee kicks in and I wake up fully.  I have been a cooking fool lately.  Not sure why it took so long to learn that vegan food was so freaking delicious.  The health factor is just an added bonus.  The fact that no sweet animals had to die for my dinner... well even bigger bonus round! There are still a few of the yummy donuts left for this mornings breakfast so I feel I will definitely kick back and be a bit lazy. 

On the cooking front it has been an awesome week.  I might have a few new favorites, this non-chili loving mama finally has a chili recipe that I cannot wait to serve.  And Curry... OMG!  I love curry, didn't realize that I would, but I started becoming addicted a few months back at my favorite Asian restaurant. Now that I have learned to make a vegan yellow curry... well that love affair is off the chain!  The warmth and gentle blending of the flavors is so wonderful.  I do have to admit that at 6 am on Wednesday, I was was the grocery to pick up more coconut milk... I'd made it the night before, we had both fallen in love with it, and there wasn't enough for both of us to have it again for lunch.  




Being a problem solver... I simply made another large pot.  Note I am beyond thankful to my sister in law for spotting those incredible cast iron Dutch ovens in Pigeon Forge... best purchase ever! I'm even over it for being mad at the beautiful lavender color that it is... I was so in love with the yellow, but it was out of stock. Now instead of being mismatched in my warm country kitchen it is an ever present "accent piece" on my stove.  Usually simmering something delicious. 


It will be far too chilly for us to go out and enjoy the fall colors on the bike today - we definitely considered it, and Veg Fest is not until tomorrow.  Anyone local going?  I am excited to get to stop by and enjoy it before we head up the river road to enjoy the lovely fall weekend.  So today will probably involve a trip to the Farmer's Market, they are rapidly waning as the weather cools.  I need some bread and a few fall veg.  Tower Grove has become my favorite, and despite the fact that Hubs thinks its the Bloody Mary's... that isn't the only reason, but it definitely doesn't hurt. There is also the physic fair at Mystic Valley and the craft show at the South County Y. So many fun things to do this weekend, but for now it's just time for sitting.  

I also want to make a few soaps, my stash is getting thin - Hubs has been loving on friends lately.  I have a few recipes and new essentials that I am dying to try out.  Right now that simply seems like so much to do. 

I bought some fabulous blue, black and natural stripped linen to make some dishtowels with.  I love using a nice linen dishtowel and the pattern is so simple.  I figure an hour work will yield six beautiful, super absorbent new towels. If they turn out as nice as I hope, I may have to purchase a bit more and clean out the towel drawer.  Some of those have been living there for over a decade or maybe two.   

It's been a brutal week, budgets and presentations take it out of me. My insomnia of Wednesday night has still not been recovered from.  I was so concerned about presenting that I literally could not sleep and flat out gave up at 3 am.  I don't know why it stresses me so badly, but it does. I spent all day Thursday in a state of high stress.  Reality check, they are simply people, and in 5 years it isn't going to matter at all.  But I felt like my entire world depended on it.  Ugghhh...  Add to that a fitness center redo... and this Y gal is worn. 

Tonight is the Pumpkin swim, it will be a fun event.  It is literally the only "work" I intend to do this weekend. The rest of it will simply be for me to reset and refocus.  Between sickness and budget I am feeling very unbalanced.  


A beautiful sunrise is peeking through the trees, it's beckoning me to enjoy and play... I do hope each of you finds the joy and love in this weekend... Find the time to fill your bucket and enjoy your lives... each one is precious!

Crackling embers, hot coffee and a beautiful sunrise...  bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...