Sunday, March 24, 2013

Snowmaggedon?

Saturday Morning at 8 am, such a beautiful day!
Forecasters were pretty ominous yesterday. Huge spring snow storm on the way. Predicting 5 to 7 inches of snow.  Way more than we usually get in these parts. Heavy rain all night, by 6 am the roads were not going to be drivable.

Sunday 7:30 am

When I woke up this morning around 7:30 am, it was semi dry and still brown outside. I was pretty furious with those darn newscasters!  I rushed to get my son home last night missing out on a full day I could have spent with him today and driving until past midnight when my bedtime is 9:00 pm.

Sunday 8:30 am - can't tell it's icing
Over the past hour and a half, I have decided I am so glad we made the decision that we did.  I hate losing a day, but I am comfortable knowing that none of us were in danger getting him back home. Over the past thirty minutes alone, we've gone from light sprinkles to seriously huge snowflakes flying around wrapped up in the icy pellets that are coming down.  Not my favorite combination, and I am starting to wonder if maybe they were right about this being a major storm.

It's 9:00 am... still not too bad

On the plus side, I now have a day off to spend with hubby. I am sitting here daydreaming about how I am going to spend the day, sipping my coffee that sweet hubby laced with Bailey's Irish Creme, after all... I have no where to go and no where to be!

9:30 am... it might be starting to mean business...
I think I will sweet talk hubby into helping me put together my quilting frame and maybe, just maybe I will play!  After all I have been waiting all week for the chance to do just that. I guess I could clean the house and do laundry, but I truly feel that can wait.  Don't you?  I have waited ten years for this dream.

In 24 hours we have gone from 52 degrees and sunshine, to swirling snow with a prediction that we will have a total of 5 - 11 inches before morning, you have just got to love springtime in the mid-west.   Thunder snow has started and we already have 3/4" of snow on the front deck.  Should be a fun day! City isn't taking any chances... snow plow has already been down the road.

Thunder and lightening is starting... 10 am
Update:  It is twelve hours later, and it is still snowing!  I have to say, after so many mistakes with calling for snow storms over the past few years they finally have it right.  I have lived here for ten years now and I have to admit this is the most snow we've had during that entire time. 

The boys enjoying a run around 5pm
Neeko coming back from checking the status around 6 pm
We have about 8 inches of snow, it is breathtakingly beautiful and I have loved the silence that comes with a snow fall.  The earth falls silent as the layers pile up.  It's been a wonderful day at home with hubby and the boys.  There was time for a nap, we started building the quilt frame and we've had time to rest and enjoy each others company.  We are wrapping it up with a nice evening watching "The Bible" and relaxing. 

Thank you Lord for such a wonderful treasure as this day has been! 

Night is closing in, the snow is still falling steady around 8 pm


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...